View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 08:19 AM
Amethystbelle
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_smurtles
Because he is scared..
He was abused.
When you go to stroke him he cowers and rolls over submersive so it is not dominance.
I am not making excuses for him but he has had a very rough life abused by 2 previous owners for a period of 6 years.
I dont want to be hard on him as this seemed to make the matters worse.
I think thats the key to your problem then as he's been abused so now he is asserting his aggression over you to protect himself and become top dog. He is getting aggressive because he is scared so he thinks he will get the first grumble or bite in before you do so to speak. If you want to help him you have to show him that this behaviour is unacceptable and teach him its wrong to bite and grumble and he has to learn some respect for you. It doesn't mean you have to be hard on him but it means you have to be firm maybe try clicker training if he does something good give him a click and reward him but if he does something bad ignore him make him see its wrong. I know he's had a bad life upto press but by not trying to sort it before it gets any worse is unfair on him and Indy as it sounds like his problem could be sorted and he'd make a loving little dog

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome