Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
14K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Amethystbelle 
#1 ·
Hi all :) . Im trying to find some toys to keep my degu's entertained. I found one that they like. The toy is shaped like a house with a chimmney that you put treats in and a small "wheel" like thing on the side. It is brown and beige. When a degu spins the wheel enough times a bell goes "ding" and then a treat pops out of the house and into a little holder in the front. All of my degus have figured it out and i think it is amazing to see how smart they are (it took me awhile to figure they toy out but not them haha). I also have a small basket hanging from the roof of the cage that they like to swing in. If anyone knows of any toys like this or that your own degus like please let me know. Thanks :)

#2 ·
My degu's love their drain pipes, hide allsorts in there and also like them hung from the roof of their cage as like to play hide and seek from one another. Also love their hammocks to snuggle up in and the enjoyment they get from something as simple as a piece of rope is amazing :D

#3 ·
Mine just love running on their wheels all day, they have worn out at least 2, and every so often I have to fix the things as they start to squeak (the wheels not the degus)...
They also love their hammocks and rope bridges, and cardboard tubes to hide in..

#5 ·
I think the safest rope to use for Degu's would be either natural fiber rope or parrot rope toys. I would suggest that it be thick cause mine chew through their natural fiber basket rope in no time. Im just looking for toys that will keep my Degu's entertained, they have a good sized cage (7 ft tall x 5 ft wide x 4 ft front to back) it has levels and branches all through it, wheels galore, pvc pipes, nest box's rodent toys you name it theyve got it. Yet they still seem bored and chew on the side of the cage all day instead of their safe chew branches :rolleyes: . I think they need more toys that test their intelligence, like the one toy i mentioned in this threadstarter. Thanks for your input everyone !!
:grouphug:
Oh and by the way, I work in a pet store and my boss brought in the sweetest little boy chinchilla, and I want him so bad, im just wondering though if they are like Degu's at all in that they need same species company? Any input is appreciated :) thanks all

#6 ·
I use rat ropes / bird rope as mine don't tend to chew theres but its recommended you use Sisal rope as supposed to be safe for them if they chew it up but its so rough i wouldn't want to walk on it so i don't want my babies to either :rolleyes: So went for the cotton rope option and they love to sit on it and scamper across it as they are so agile :D

#7 ·
Thanks, I'll have to get some rope!
I have a Chin that I adopted eariler this year and I love her! The care is very similar to a Degus, but then again they are much different in personality. My Degus are crazy and hyper to where my Chin is but yet at night so I don't see most of it except when she is out of her cage.

#8 ·
Phawn said:
I think the safest rope to use for Degu's would be either natural fiber rope or parrot rope toys. I would suggest that it be thick cause mine chew through their natural fiber basket rope in no time. Im just looking for toys that will keep my Degu's entertained, they have a good sized cage (7 ft tall x 5 ft wide x 4 ft front to back) it has levels and branches all through it, wheels galore, pvc pipes, nest box's rodent toys you name it theyve got it. Yet they still seem bored and chew on the side of the cage all day instead of their safe chew branches :rolleyes: . I think they need more toys that test their intelligence, like the one toy i mentioned in this threadstarter. Thanks for your input everyone !!
:grouphug:
Its attention seeking behaviour, mine have allsorts of toys like yours and live in big cages and are very spoilt yet they still chew on the wires no matter how long i spend with them. I've tried everything suggested over the years and nothing has worked they still chew if they feel like it :rolleyes: I was told the worst thing you can do with them is to shout or give them any attention when they are doing it as your rewarding them its best to ignore it no matter how bad the noise gets and how annoying it is either that or put them in a tank but i couldn't ever do the latter as thats too cruel as they love to climb so i put up with it as its little to pay for the love they give ;)

#9 ·
Phawn said:
Hi all :) . Im trying to find some toys to keep my degu's entertained. I found one that they like. The toy is shaped like a house with a chimmney that you put treats in and a small "wheel" like thing on the side. It is brown and beige. When a degu spins the wheel enough times a bell goes "ding" and then a treat pops out of the house and into a little holder in the front. All of my degus have figured it out and i think it is amazing to see how smart they are (it took me awhile to figure they toy out but not them haha). I also have a small basket hanging from the roof of the cage that they like to swing in. If anyone knows of any toys like this or that your own degus like please let me know. Thanks :)

hello, just wondering where u found such an amazing toy i'm sure mine would love somthing like that thanks.

#10 ·
I found it at the store i used to work it and it was very inexpensive. I know that they are made by a german company i do not know if they still make them. I can try to find out the name of the company that makes them, and if not maybe i could ship one to you :).

#12 ·
Man, you all have such cool toys... All mine have is a wheel (which they use nonstop), and a wooden cave I made for them, they sleep in it. I'm saving up for a bigger cage for them, all I have is a 15 gallon tank. I have a tank because I have them in my room and they make to much noise chewing on bars as I sleep.

#13 · (Edited)
Durrin said:
Man, you all have such cool toys... All mine have is a wheel (which they use nonstop), and a wooden cave I made for them, they sleep in it. I'm saving up for a bigger cage for them, all I have is a 15 gallon tank. I have a tank because I have them in my room and they make to much noise chewing on bars as I sleep.
Owning degu's means you have to be creative at times i have found and make the most of what you have got. A tank is ideal for making a digging pit in, digging is something degu's love so you could mix them some organic compost and chinchilla sand together and create them a digging pit in one corner and you could create them levels which would give them lots of interest with rope etc.... :)

#15 ·
Sometimes they will use a hammock most of mine will, also you could always tie some rope or string to a woven basket and hang it from your lid/roof they love to jump in and swing around.

You really should try to get some interesting toys for them if you are keeping them in a 15 gallon tank. At one point i kept 2 degus in a 33 gal with tons of toys and found that they still seemed so depressed with the lack of space. They need a lot of room to run around so if you could give them some levels and ladders they would probably love it.

Im glad that you are trying to find them a bigger cage or tank, and wish you luck finding one and also with your toy quest :)

#17 ·
Durrin said:
Good idea, thanks! But wont they just bit the rope? If I make them a hammock, will they use it?
With the rope they will have a little chew is degu nature to try it with their mouths to see if its edible first :lol: The same will go for a hammock they will always have a little chew of that but a hammocks a great idea gives them another level and extra space of the ground and most of the people i know with degu's say they love their hammocks so it is something worth getting or making :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.