Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

New pellets for Charlie?

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Millimi 
#1 ·
Charlie has been eating Kaytee Alfalfa based pellets her whole life, except for a few weeks where I tried switching her to Alfalfa Ox Bow pellets when she was little and Timothy ones when she was older. She refuses to eat either of those pelllets.
When I tried switching her to Ox Bow timothy pellets, she stopped eating pellets all together and dropped down to five pounds. :eek: She is usually anywhere from 6.1 to 6.5 pounds. When I took the Ox Bow away, she started eating again, and with the new shed, she has perked up a lot. I don't want to try Ox Bow with her again, as she is way too sensitive.
I'm really not impressed with Mazuri for rabbits as they have sun flower seeds with the pellets. :( I don't like Kaytee, but that is what she had at the pet store and that is what I gave her in the beginning through now. Is there any other high quality rabbit food out there for her? She doesn't have weight problems like Harry, but I do want little Miss Charlie to be a healthy and happy bunny.

#6 ·
My rabbits won't eat timothy pellets, and since I have been giving them other grass hay that I get from a friend who has horses, they won't eat pet store timothy hay either. I think timothy hay is over rated. My vet told me that as long as they have unlimited amounts of hay, they should stay healthy. She also said that any grass hay is good for rabbits. I give my rabbits alfalfa based pellets, Nutriphase brand, I also give them a little fruit or a carrot each day and some fresh vedgies.

#7 ·
My girls wouldn't eat the oxbow timmothy pellets either. A good alfalfa based pellet is Purina Rabbit Chow, or Martin.

I order in American Pet Diner pellets from California, as I wanted my girls to be on a timmothy based pellet. They didn't have that refusal to eat like they did with the Oxbow timmothy pellet, and we made the switch slow and steady.

If the Kaytee pellet you are feeding is the one with those colourful bits in it, then I would agree that you should change brands. That food is basically just junk food, and does not serve your rabbits needs very well at all.

Good luck to you in your switch over!

Sandra

#13 ·
I have read in many places that rabbits especially older rabbits (over 1 year) dont need much if any pellets so say use them some say no. But from what I have learned Hay is the main important part of a rabbits diet along with 1 cup of fresh veggies a day for the older rabbit. Alfalfa is high in fat and can cause urine probs. anyways I'll attach a couple links on feeding rabbits hope it helps.
http://www.carrotcafe.com/
http://www.rabbit.org/care/index.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.