Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Sliders, and a map, oh my! Help on turtles.

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Mygala 
#1 ·
Hi, my name is Jonathan. I've started becoming interested in turtles ever since my last two turtles died one time ago. I did some horrible mistakes, but I am renued. I have four baby sliders ( some even hatchlings, probably about two. ) and one baby map turtle coming in one more day. I have a question since I'm starting out now. I'll tell you about my beginners rig. It's a 10 gallon aquarim, which I want to start out with because they're so small. :crylaugh: Also, I have a floating dock for basking, two plastic reefs, submersive heater, and a clamp basking lamp. The question is, is this really good to start out? Because, I see them more active than before, and they love it. It's about the feeding. I put a little plastic top with Terra shrimps that I bought from PetSmart. The funny thing about it, the turtle seemed to be sitting in it, instead of eating the shrimps. I don't really know. Should I put the shrimps in the water, but they make the water foggy. Right now, I don't have a filter, but I'm going to buy one this friday. Should I put them in the water, because one time I did it and one of the turtles started eating it. My tank tempetature is over 80 degrees. I need help... :confused:

#4 ·
I agree with the previous poster. Get caught up with the basics first.

Also look in www.turtleforum.com

Water temp should not be over 80 degrees. You should lower the heater setting. The turts will also need UVB lighting and they will outgrow the 10 gallon tank quickly especially if you have 4?? turtles.

Water turts need to eat their food in the water. I feed my turtle in a separate tank.

#6 ·
Getting things in Order.

Wow, guys. Thanks for the information. My turtles are now living great. The tank is a bit small for five turtles ( 10 gallon,), but next week I'll buy a 20 gallon tank. Anyways, my turtles are doing good. They enjoy eating: dried shrimps, live plant matter. They also eat live food as well: Rose Reds ( they love those :D ), baby crickets. These are probably the only foods I'm feeding at this moment, I'll have to buy crittle bone next time I go to PetSmart. I really love watching them fight over the gorey pieces of rose reds. It's fun having these little turtles. I have a filter now also, it's doing well. Their names are unknown at the time, but I'll name them later on after I figure out their appearances for names. Now a question will arise. Will I need some kind of colorful tapes to attach to their feed, or ontop of their shells. Please reply. :confused:

#7 ·
God Made Them said:
Now a question will arise. Will I need some kind of colorful tapes to attach to their feed, or ontop of their shells. Please reply. :confused:
Glad things are looking up. A bigger tank and good filtration are very important. As well as a good haul out spot and basking spot/light.

I don't understand the question about tape though? Why would you want it on their feed or shells?

Bob

#8 ·
Because, I wanted to learn how to recognize the turtles when I name them. I haven't created a list, but I shall. At the moment, I will bring up another topic. This weekend I rode to the nearest PetSmart down the street from my house. I bought thirty-rose reds, and thirty small crickets. I'm wondering in my dome....What do I feed crickets and Rose Reds? Could you help me with this, because five of the Rose Reds died, and I still have the crickets. I paid $ 2.40 for those little things, and I really don't want my money to go to waste, thought I'd invest in more so I wouldn't have to go back constantly to the Petsmart. And, since I have five turtles, I bought a Top Fin Power Filter for them, it should be here in a couple of days. See, I already have a filter, but I want to,"up-my-game," or rather upgrade my enviroment with x2 the cleaning power. :crylaugh: Also, I bought riverbed sand, because I heard they eat the gravel, and that's pretty bad. It seems when I get the new tank, I wouldn't know what to do with the old one. So this idea arose from my dome again, maybe I should either: Make it out of a feeding for the turtles, or either make a small river enviroment they might enjoy out in the wild ( since RES, and MAPs stay in cajuin enviroments.) A quick reply please, because I probably have a couple of days left with my live feeding supply.

#9 ·
You can feed your crix a couple of things. Some folks buy a special mix, called Gut Load, or something like that. It's a great food for crix. You can also feed them from your pantry. Oatmeal is good, with chunks of potatoes or wedges of orange for water. You can also put a water bowl in, just put a large sponge in for them to drink out of, and that way they won't drown in it.

Personally, when I had ALOT of animals eating crickets, I would order them in bulk (1000+ at at time) and feed them out over a week or so.

With just a few animals, I'd just buy what I need, when I need it, and then feed them all out over a couple of days. A slice of orange or potato in with them should keep them nourished until you are ready for them.

I'd have second thoughts about the tape. It probably isn't good for for the shell to apply that kind of adhesive to it, and the water would keep the tape from lasting very long anyway. Don't worry about knowing the names ...they aren't going to come when called anyway!

I don't know what the Rose Reds are, so I can't help you with advice on keeping them.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.