Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

indoor/outdoor cats & collars. ARGH!

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Formula86 
#1 ·
Ok, so Charlie came inside and he is missing his collar. AGAIN. This is the 4th time overall. I just replaced his collar 3 weeks ago, and now it's gone. :mad:

I'm beginning to think that someone in my neighborhood (perhaps his original "owners") are taking it off. WTF?!

Do outdoor cats really lose their collars this often?

I always buy the cat-safe kind cause I'm scared he'll strangle himself if I get a dog one.

It just sucks cause I have to replace the collar, his ID tag, his rabies tag, AND his microchip tag. That's a lot of money each time! I'm mostly just tired of replacing the tags cause that takes a long time to get all 3 again.

Should I get a dog collar for him? What about a cat harness?

:tearhair:

#2 ·
I can totally sympathise when my cat Kitty used to go outside before she injured her leg she always used to lose her collars as she hated them. I tried most of them on the market even a expensive one that stated it would only come off if the cat was stuck, well she had it on all of ten minutes went outside and came back half an hour later collarless and it was never to be seen again :rolleyes: The problem with cats is they get everywhere and think nothing of going through hedges and spiky bushes all of which are all good for snagging the collar on and pulling it off. The possibility is always there that someone is taking the collar off (as i caught some child taking my other cats collar off outside my house in the summer :mad2: ) but if it was his old owners and they have your info, you would have thought they would have been in touch!?

I'm not sure if i would use a dog collar as they don't tend to release as easily if the cat gets stuck which would be my main concern as collars can cause some very nasty injuries. That would also be my main concern about the harness as well, it getting snagged on something and not releasing. The only other solution for both you and your pocket is if you can get him a cheaper tag with all his info on and keep his other tags at home safe? That way if anything did happen they could still contact you and you would have all his other details (tags) at home? And if he did lose his collar again it wouldn't be as expensive for you to replace :)

#3 ·
My dog lost his collar outside so they are not so great either and that had his ID disc on and you cant get them in Sweden.
He has lost both of them now.
Will have to get someone to get me a new one from England

#4 ·
Thank you for the input. :D

Other people on various forums has suggested one main tag, too. I like having his Microchip tag on there, though, to prompt people to scan him. :sigh:

Maybe I can just go buy like, 3 cat collars and 3 ID tags. The I can order 3 microchip tags and buy 1 rabies tag (only get 1 at a time). Then I'll have 2 more collars ready to go.

Ugh! I just wish there were a better collar out there that needed a little more pressure to release.

#5 ·
Well, I went out and got him 3 collars, 3 ID tags, 1 self-made microchip tag (will order more tonight on the web) and a new rabies tag. He is set for 3 more times now. I will always have to get him Rabies tags as we go (can't get a bunch at one time), but at least I have the main stuff. :)

I'll let you know how long this one lasts. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.