Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
12K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  Amethystbelle 
#1 ·
Does anyone else keep them?

heres a photo of one of my girls :)
Rat Rodent Whiskers packrats Fawn

See less See more
#6 ·
Awww, she's so cute! I actually didn't know that people kept lemmings as pets. Cool :)

#7 ·
DorkyChantelle said:
Awww, she's so cute! I actually didn't know that people kept lemmings as pets. Cool :)
i dont think they are very common as pets, i never knew until i made friends with a breeder of them and he only knows the breeder he got his from and so on.... i dont think they have been adomesticated breed (if you can call them that at all) for very long.
they are very shy and hide all the time, i tend to catch a glimse of them early in the morning - both my girls are tame and i handle them but they are very fast and do nip!

#10 ·
I actually have a male & female, and I call them both Lemmy, thats the male. :) They don't really get along though. I've had them about a year now. They were full grown when I got them, but supposedly young.

#11 ·
Ravnos said:
I call them both Lemmy.
Awwwe they're so cute! you outta call them lemmy and limey hehe. (I know i'm corny)
Do they ever get the urge to throw them selves all tall book cases or the like? (hehe)

About how big are they full grown? Degu sized maybe? Gosh I can't get over that CUTE pic!

#15 ·
I have no idea about getting them in the UK. I've only seen them for sale in small numbers around here in the US. My guess would be that they've been imported from some place that only recently opened its border for the pet trade, like the Ukraine.

They don't get anywhere near the size of a degu, about the size of a dwarf hamster. They even look similar to dwarf hamsters at a glance, but their care is quite different - as is their temperment.

#18 ·
Omg they are adorable :lovies: I didn't actually know you could get them as pets over here in the UK (i knew you can get voles etc... but not lemmings) and just done a little research and they seem quiet reasonably priced aswell and more popular than i imagined, i'm in love and i'm now off to do some research into them :D

#19 ·
ravnos: what do you bed yours on? any special diet?
ive heard they only live around 18 months as their hearts beat so fast, what do you know about them?

steph: i only know the guy i brought them from, he has two 4 month old females for sale and small babes in the nest. he is a good breeder. where in uk are you? he is in portsmouth.

#20 ·
Amethystbelle said:
Omg they are adorable :lovies: I didn't actually know you could get them as pets over here in the UK (i knew you can get voles etc... but not lemmings) and just done a little research and they seem quiet reasonably priced aswell and more popular than i imagined, i'm in love and i'm now off to do some research into them :D
oh let us know if you get some! my girls hide a lot so i dont see them much but when they do come out they are fantastic fun to watch. they are quite happy for me to pick them up but move really fast! they also dig at my hand and one likes to nip! but she doent hurt.

#21 ·
fernzara said:
steph: i only know the guy i brought them from, he has two 4 month old females for sale and small babes in the nest. he is a good breeder. where in uk are you? he is in portsmouth.
I am in Essex, but Portsmouth is ok to drive to.. I need to get hubby to agree first though.. Easier said than done, he wants a dog before we get any other pets..

#23 ·
Sasami said:
I don't think you can really get them in the U.S.

But if I found some in New York I'd certainly take them :D.
i dont blame you! im really taken with my girls, my sister has two boys and its tempting to do a one for one swap and have a breeding pair but it would be so hard to sell the babes round here!

#24 ·
Purplebunny said:
I am in Essex, but Portsmouth is ok to drive to.. I need to get hubby to agree first though.. Easier said than done, he wants a dog before we get any other pets..
LOL hubbys eh !!
i love exotic rodents, my lemmings, zebra mice and pallid gerbils are all fantastic and i have had success in breeding the pallids and zebras recently. lots of babes in nests - and some dubo ratties on way!

#26 ·
fernzara said:
oh let us know if you get some! my girls hide a lot so i dont see them much but when they do come out they are fantastic fun to watch. they are quite happy for me to pick them up but move really fast! they also dig at my hand and one likes to nip! but she doent hurt.
I've done my research and i'm so tempted as they are adorable the only downside is their life span as like mice they appear to be short lived but i do have a large secure tank that is empty and make a great home for some which i was keeping for some African Pygmy Dormice that i have coming later in the year but i can always get another tank and i could so eaily be tempted by their little faces :lovies:

Do you feed yours the guinea pig food mix or do you go for the rabbit food? As there seems some controversy over them being sugar intolerant. I can definately do the frugal diet as i'm used to degu's but i was just wondering what diet you go for and which you think is best?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.