Paw Talk - Pet Forums - View Single Post - It's not an allergy!
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Scarlette
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Angry It's not an allergy!

I mentioned before that Mirra likes to lick her feet. It's not quite an obsession yet, but it gets annoying. I took her to the vet awhile ago. My vet hired another vet to work with her since she's overwhelmed with clients at times. For Mirra's red, raw foot visit we got the new vet. She told us it was an allergy, gave us some prednisone and sent us on our way despite my protest that it's not an allergy.

Now the last 2 weeks we've been battling an ear infection. First trip to the vet for that Jeff gets the new vet (I had to work 12 1/2 hours that day). She says it's an allergy, but gives Mirra an antibiotic. A week later there's improvement but then she gets bad again so we went back last Saturday so they could culture the gunk in her ear. Of course we get new vet again, and again she says it's an allergy although I'm arguing with her. It's NOT an allergy!! I know I didn't go to vet school but I do know an allergy when I see one and this is not an allergy!

The culture came back and it started off as a bacterial infection with some yeast. Since the antibiotic killed off alot of the bacteria the yeast took over, that's why it got better then worse, yet she continues to say it's an allergy. So we got some ointment for yeast. When Jeff went there to pick up the new meds my regular vet was there and Jeff told her what has been going on and asked if it's an allergy. My regular vet said that it didn't sound like an allergy to her.

Sitting here thinking about it, I know it's not an allergy. It's more of a comfort thing. She only does it when she's laying down relaxing. It's not obsessive (yet) because she doesn't stop what she's doing to lick her foot. Ya, she does make 3 of her 4 feet red from licking if we don't stop her, but I wouldn't call that obsessive licking yet. Oddly enough, she doesn't lick her back left leg which is the one that she had surgery on.

It's not an allergy! There, vent over!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome