Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

puffer tank?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  sara8 
#1 ·
we have an unoccupied 10 gallon tank right now and are doing research on either leopard or figure eight puffers. the only thing we've come across is they require 15-20 gal. fortunately we are about to aquire a 20gal. so that will work. the puffers that Petco has are tiny so they can start in our ten. we have to set the water and get the salt levels right as puffers prefer brackish water and are thinking about throwing a couple mollies in it to cycle it. then when we put the puffer in the mollies can move to our community tank. i will keep you posted :)

#2 ·
I cannot wait for pics!

I had a puffer before, but he only lasted a week...I don't know what I did wrong.That was years ago...:(

Anyway I cannot wait to see yours!

#3 ·
Puffers are really cute, I only wish they could be kept with other fish but we learned the hard way they can't be and he ate 7 of my little friends. :( Thankfully the pet store took him back but I was very angry with their stupidity and the fact I trusted them (they said he'd be fine with other fish as long as we kept him well fed, yeah right) without checking them out better first.

Anyway they are really cute little buggers with quite a personality! Ours sure had a funny personality.

#4 ·
yeah fortunatly we have a couple people who really know what they're doing at petco they warned us azaZ

#5 ·
sorry, my son grabbed the keyboard and started typing and apparantly posted it. anyway the people at petco warned us that puffers will eat anything. we are just wondering if we dare to keep 2 puffers together or if they will kill eachother? petco said we could try it. i will keep you posted :)

#6 ·
Puffers are real random in temperment, I've seen some that do great in a community, and heard of many that are mean little buggers. Most sources I've come across say they're best kept alone. Definitely not with any invertebrates. I've kept figure8s in the past, they're cute little guys, but seem really sensitive to water quality changes.

#8 ·
It depends on the species...some can be kept in pairs and others cannot.Also depending on the size of the species you get, it may eat the other fish in your tank...

#9 ·
Vanilla_Rat said:
It depends on the species...some can be kept in pairs and others cannot.Also depending on the size of the species you get, it may eat the other fish in your tank...
yeah when we get them they will be in a tank by themselves. we will double check with the people in petco to see if we can keep 2 puffers together. if not then we will just get one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.