Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

new guinea pig parent/need help

Tags
guinea pig
4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  VanillaRat 
#1 ·
i just adopted a short haired female guinea pig. i've bought all the best food, cage, treats, toys and all she wants to do is eat her own poop. does anyone know why? can anyone help me? please, i'm not sure if she needs to go to the vet or if this is normal or what. the person i adopted her from doesn't have any answers. i need help to these questions please, someone, anyone, help!

#2 ·
They will do this so dont worry too much.
This is actually not a sign of illness at all.
This behavior is an essential part of guinea pig nutrition. Guinea pigs create special, moist droppings that are stored in a small "sack" just inside the anus. These droppings are rich in vitamins and proteins that are essential for the piggies health. Its known as coprophagy. It is a bit like cows chewing the cud. The protein in these droppings is important for the piggies health and you should not stop them doing it. Dont worry, it can't transmit disease.

Its gross but yeah its normal. I wondered about the same thing when i saw it happening.

#4 ·
Don't worry about the poop eating, like everyone said, they need the nutrition from thier poos.

Here are a couple sites you might want to check out about guinea pigs. They have TONS of great info.

www.guinealynx.info
www.guineapigcages.com

Just curious but what type of cage do you have. What brand of hay and pellets do you use? Your guinea pig also needs veggies like leaf lettuce, bell peppers, etc. Should be getting one cup per day. Make sure you always have unlimited hay in the cage. Well, I could go on and on, just check out the links!

#6 ·
Nara said:
As everyone else has said, the poo eating is nothing to worry about. Rats do it too btw.
Yes,they do.So do hamsters...me and my sister found that out while looking at the cute little hams in the pet store and then one just started pooping and picking it up and eating it...:crylaugh:

#7 ·
I'm not sure why rats and hamsters would do it, other than boredom. That's very interesting. Guinea pigs and rabbits are a type of animal called a "cecotrope". They produce two different kinds of poos, one is the ordinary "fecal" poop and the other is called a "cecal". The cecals are very unformed and generally smell pretty awful. They eat the cecals because they're full of nutrients to redigest plant matter. The normal fecals they generally don't eat. :)

#8 ·
Jennicat said:
I'm not sure why rats and hamsters would do it, other than boredom. That's very interesting. Guinea pigs and rabbits are a type of animal called a "cecotrope". They produce two different kinds of poos, one is the ordinary "fecal" poop and the other is called a "cecal". The cecals are very unformed and generally smell pretty awful. They eat the cecals because they're full of nutrients to redigest plant matter. The normal fecals they generally don't eat. :)
It is called Coprophagy...it's made in a special corner of the intestine called the cecum (sometimes spelled caecum) and yes rats do eat their own poop and it isn't out of boredom.If you don't believe me,do your research :D .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.