Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

How to get the cat to like the dog?

Tags
pit bull
4K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Pupp Fiction 
#1 ·
My cat is 2, and my great dane puppy is 6 mos. When she was little, he LOVED her...but she's gotten quite a bit bigger, and he hates her now.

He will freak out, hiss, scratch, pretty much attack - usually me - if she's in the room. Even if she's locked in her crate. She likes him fine, even when he's a jerk... although sometimes he scares her.

She's never been rough with him, and she never barks at him. Sometimes she'll talk to him, little noises, not full on WOOF barks, but just noises... but they're friendly noises!

How do I get him to calm down and not attack me, or better yet - tolerate her? I'd like to be able to have them both roaming freely in the house while I'm home, but at this point... I'm lucky if I can lock one up and let the other out. >.<

Help?

#2 ·
does the cat actually attack the dog? or just you?
if the cats not actually harming the dog, just hissing at her, and the dogs not chasing after the cat, i would jus let them be.
is the dog allowed on the furniture?
When my aunt first got her dog, the dog didnt pay any mind to the cat, but the cat hated the dog, they just let them both roam free, and made sure they didnt hurt eachother, for the longest time, the cat just stayed up on the furnature and the dog was taught to stay on the floor, eventually the cat learned to like the dog, she even grooms and sleeps with the dog now.
if the dog chases after the cat, then maybe you should do some leah training, and have her on a leash attached to you or another family member

if the cat is attacking the dog maybe you could leash him? altho im not sure how well that would work :p

#3 ·
How bad is it? Whynot let them be and see what happens?

My mom just got a new cat a few weeks ago and at first,Coco (dog) kept chasing the kitty and biting at her and everything and the kitty would ALWAYS hide and every now and then come out and attack Coco.But after a few days,they got used to eachother and now they sleep,play with,groom...etc eachother.

Mom didn't do anything special,just let them be.They worked things out themselves.

#5 ·
Just leave them alone. The cat will find plenty of places to hide to get away from the dog and eventually the cat will get curious and creep closer and closer. As long as the dog isn't trying to attack her, let them be. Even if the dog does go after the cat...it will only be a couple of times before she learns. lol

#6 ·
Okay, apparently I didn't explain myself.

Cat attacks. Me, especially. The first time I had bruises that were literally black, and puncture wounds that bled for days. I couldn't walk for a couple of days without tears streaming down my face (he got my thighs).

When he gets like this, hissing and clawing and biting, the dog cowers in the corner, making herself as small as possible. If I wasn't there to take the brunt of his anger, I'm sure he'd scratch her to bits.

The cat won't get out of the dogs way. He specifically gets in her, and then my, way, and then takes his anger out on us very forcefully.

...I don't really understand. When she was a baby, and she'd play too rough, he'd pop her on the nose, claws in. He was gentle, but firm. Now he's insane.

Oh, and if I try to scruff the cat, which I CAN do, he just bends around and tries to bite or scratch. Its hard to hold him far enough away from me so I don't end up bloody, AGAIN.

#10 ·
Cats are usually quiet and alone pet while, dogs especially pups are very energetic and playful. At the time and situation, they probably can't go along so well with these differences so you have to constantly supervise them, or keep them separated so neither will develop aggressive behavior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.