Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

ugh!!!! Chewing chewing always chewing!!

8K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  jeff jey 
#1 ·
Pebbles Is a syrian I've had her about 5 months she always chews her cage!!!! I put her in her ball sometimes for an hour let her drink and put her back in the ball for another hour "she loves that thing its glow in the dark cool @ night w/ a black light!!! " then she still chews on her cage!! Ive tried tooth paste, bitter apple i havent used where do I get that ?? I ve tried new toys she hate dog biscuts and those wooden chews lil miss wants nothng to do with it, but i did buy her a honey wooden house thig shes been chewin on that but still cage chews!!!!! HHHHHHHELLLPPPPPPP!!!:spitlol:

#3 ·
Well hamsters have to chew.I'm glad you know that though.I was on another forum a couple years ago & someone refused to give their hamster anything to chew because the sound got on her nerves.
Chewing cage bars isn't good though.Maybe you could consider switching to a tank? [Make sure there's good ventilation ;) ].

Try the tissue roll idea though! My rats LOVE that! I had one rat [Tenshi] who was a avid chewer.I started giving her empty rolls & the problem disappeared :D !

#4 ·
the chewing must go on! i know when it's on the bars it's suuuuper annoying, but you have to know it's what you get for owning a rodent. the tp tubes are a great idea, also paper towel tubes, any empty cereal box, anything cardboard really, bend it into fun shapes like huts or ramps. beware its' now chewing out of boredom too.

#5 ·
I would try "puzzle" type toys that contain hidden or hard-to-get treats such as the Kaytee shred-a-bowls, shred-a-boxes, Wacky Wabbit alfalfa cups, the Nut Knot Nibbler, etc. Hide treats around the cage and provide things to climb such as brances. Also, when you let her out don't just let her out in her ball. Give her new places to explore such as a large box with toys or the bathtub.

#6 ·
Chewing,as everyone said is important...however chewing the bars usually means they want your attention or they do if out of boredom.

I agree with Stephanie,when you take her out...let her explore some other areas,out of the ball.Set your bed up with "blanket caves" and let her explore them,my rats LOVE this.Try little games and new things with her.Try new toys as well.

#14 ·
My 2 male RWWs have a Rotastak (UK) main cage and an ordinary wire cage as a playpen. I tranfer them here when they come up for a breather about noon. They stay there in a straw house until about 9. Then, they climb all over and chew on the bars.. But they tire of that and move on. I think that you should not let your hammie run for 1 hour at a time. It is suggested that it should half of that at a time.. couple times day..

#15 ·
i moved mine to a tank when i had some they annoyed me before so much i put them outside mybedroom door so my bestfriend is allergic so thats were they stayed

#17 ·
I would go for an aquarium instead. Can't chew a solid glass wall. :)

#18 ·
true lakeshore put the hammy in a aquarioum

#22 ·
Rodents do chew....but I found gerbils to be massive chewers, even more so then rats, hamsters and mice. My gerbil can destroy things in hours.

#23 ·
Isn't it hugely entertaining? LOL! It still amazes me what just my 2 Gerbils can do while I am at work for only 6 hours! They really come alive when I put fresh c/board or paper for them. I usually get MY time with the guys first before I put more chew stuff in for them since if I put it in first they don't want much to do with me. They will ignore me and go chew on the new stuff! :( :hehe:

#24 ·
Oh it is. I can give my girly full flyers and she will shred them within an hour or two, depending on the size and makes tunnels and buries herself in the massive pile of shredded paper. Who needs a paper shredder when you have a gerbil!? :hehe:

I save all my cardboard boxes from cookies, tissues and stuff and give them to Muirne (my gerbil) and she goes nuts for them.

#26 ·
My gerbil is in an aquarium too. A 33 gallon.
One of my last gerbils chewed her way out of a plastic bottom cage, so I now only keep gerbils in glass tanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.