Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
4K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Mel 
#1 ·
i guess leslie's dad was thinking of giving the puppies to the animal shelter to give away or something, and he said he went down there to talk to them and they told him they couldnt give them away because there were part Chow. is there breed restrictions on chows? if so why? ive never heard of such a thing, im thinking maybe they were just not wanting to take them and just gave the old man an excuse?

#2 ·
i live in calif and as far as i know there are not any restrictions here..my dog is part chow and part shepard. Hmm..i dont know about any other states though.
Chows arent as aggressive as some other breeds..in fact they can be kinda wimpy. They are more barkers than attackers ...they dont usually get provoked until they are provoked but usually will still back away to avoid confrontation. But if they are really provoked they can and will get aggressive like any cornered animal. They are very loyal though and will defend property and their owners like any dog.

#3 · (Edited)
Yes in some areas Chows are considered to be an aggressive breed, because they tend to be a one person dog and can become aggressive towards strangers (chow breed information http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/chowchow.htm) They fall in the whole Doberman, Pit, Rott, GSD deal with some insurance companies covering them. I know that the place I used to board my dogs at would not board chows because of their experience with the breed having aggression issues toward humans and other dogs (note: I personally have no issue with the breed).

As for them trying to find homes for the puppies.... perhaps they could try going through a private rescue group instead of the animal shelter or humane society. Try looking here for one in your area www.petfinder.com. I know they also have a classified section there, so they could try listing them there as well. Puppies usually go really fast at most shelters so I don't know why they wouldn't take them in considering they are only part chow.

#5 ·
German Shepherd Dog

#8 ·
Yup, some shelters have their own breed restrictions. When I was getting my second dog, a Cocker Spaniel, I looked into adoption first. There was a shelter that had three Cockers for adoption but wouldn't let me adopt one because there was a child in the house :(. This was a kill shelter, too *sigh*.

#10 ·
My cousin's chow ate (yes, ate) my uncle's german shepherd/dach. mix (FUNNY looking dog). I mean, the mix was just walking down the drive way, and the chow attacked, in front of my two tiny cousins (8 & 3). Ripped the dog into lots of little pieces and then ate it. I mean, not the whole dog, but definitely some of it.

It was disgusting. *shudders* So I have a major problem with chows. But that's just me.

#11 ·
Mel said:
My cousin's chow ate (yes, ate) my uncle's german shepherd/dach. mix (FUNNY looking dog). I mean, the mix was just walking down the drive way, and the chow attacked, in front of my two tiny cousins (8 & 3). Ripped the dog into lots of little pieces and then ate it. I mean, not the whole dog, but definitely some of it.

It was disgusting. *shudders* So I have a major problem with chows. But that's just me.
That's awful :(.

But I don't think it's fair to hate a breed because of one dog. I was attacked by our neighbor's rottweiler mix but I have nothing against rotties :).

#13 ·
thats too bad Mel..sorry that happened.

I have a neighbor whos own Pit ate, yes ate the ear off their their little 11 month old daughter and scared up the little girls head and face. It was really bad!
I know Pits have a bad rep but im sure not all are bad just like all chows arent bad. I hate what that dog did to that little girl but i dont hate the breed.

#15 ·
Yes it was very horrible. They are gonna give her a new ear when she is over 2 years old. She is so cute still. Thank goodness babies heal quickly and i hope she will never remember that happening!

awwwww Mel..i would be cautious if that happened to me too...dont feel bad.

#17 ·
I have never seen anything like that happen in person with any dog.
But i do know that my sister has children that are evil and i bet there are lots of dogs that would lash out oat them. These kids antaganize animals. In most cases I think the animals are provoked. but every once in a while an animal will just snap for no reason

#18 ·
Well i know definatly that the baby that was attacked didnt provoke or antagonize the pitbull! It was in its mothers arms as they watched TV and it grabbed the baby, shook it around in its mouth, ripped at its little face and tore off the ear and ate it! They had to throw things at it to get it to stop! It was very horrible. This baby wasnt "evil" and no one antogonized or provoked this dog.

#21 ·
Mel, I know how you feel. I have an irrational fear of chows too. When I was about 7 and my brother was 4 the chow from across the street got loose, ran over to our yard, and attacked him out of no where. Luckily he was fine. About a year later it got loose again and terrorized out pet rabbits to death while no one was home. I try not to hold it against them, but it's hard. My fear has gotten significantly better since then though.

Sarah, good luck finding homes for the puppies.

Monique, that's awful! I'm glad she's ok.

#23 ·
We had a chow when we were little and he was MEAN!! We used to climb to the top of the furniture and stuff to get away from him or he would bite us. My parents got rid of him when he bit a friend of ours pretty badly and the cops showed up at our door for the dog. They took him to the pound for observation. I don't think I would ever own one.

#25 ·
Thanks for all the info guys.. my aunt had 2 dogs that were chow mix's and ive never been fearful of either one, altho i know they do tend to choose a favorite person, the one she still has named teddy, shes the sweetest dog in the world, and afraid of her own shadow, but one time me and my aunt got in to a pretty bad arguement, and if it would have gotten physical in any way, teddy would have protected my aunt.
Either way im not too worried, there only like 1/8th chow? that was there great great grandpa was pure chow to begin with.. i dunno
There mom's mom is chocolate lab, and there moms dad was chow and shar pei. then they breed with a great pyarnise.. anyone know anything about the temperments of the other dogs? ive never really had the pleasure of knowing pure shar pei or great pyranise

#26 ·
Great Pyrenees are wonderful. My uncle had one for years, and he was an amazing dog. He would guard the house, let in good people, but he knew when someone was bad.. the only people he didn't like either ended up stealing from my family or going to jail right after the dog decided he was bad... He also kept the coyotes and raccoons away.

He was HUGE, and my grandmother was tiny (4' nothing), but he was always super gentle with her. He was a great great dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.