Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

That's a corgi?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  staravengergirl 
#1 ·
Why is it that anytime a shelter gets a dog with ears that stand up, or a slightly long body, they call it a corgi? Even when it obviously doesn't look like one other than stand up ears?

I was bored yesterday, so I decided to check out what kinds of dogs are commonly found in shelters in the Atlanta area, since that is where we would like to move and I would like to adopt all of our future dogs (though I admit, I am still considering buying a Cardigan Welsh Corgi from a breeder unless by some miracle I can find one in a shelter. I have seen 2 (brother and sister) in all the time I've been looking at Petfinder. As for the blue merle collie dream, I have decided that I would much rather adopt all of our future collies than buy a puppy just because it is blue.) Anyways, as I adore Ein and would like to always have a corgi, I did a Petfinder search for corgis in the Atlanta area. About 75% of the dogs listed as corgis had no corgi in them that I could see. Why oh why must you call it a corgi if it isn't one?

I was also dissapointed to see that right now there are no corgis in shelters until you get way far away from Atlanta. I'm talking Ohio and Missouri. One corgi rescue stated that they don't normally adopt to families with kids.... um, why? I can understand if an individual dog is not good with kids, but to not allow ANY of your dogs to go to a home with kids? Ein is a corgi, and he is naturally good with kids. He instinctively knows to be gentle with babies. He absolutely adores children and will make a wonderful doggy brother to our future children. So I totally don't understand.

Okay, that's my corgi vent. Gee, can you tell that I'm a total corgi addict? I think I need help.

See less See more
#2 ·
I sooooo feel your pain. I think I know which shelter you are talking about. They have a bunch of corgis and we want a corgi soooo bad but can't be considered because we have kids??! We teach our kids to have the utmost respect for our animals and they love them like they love eachother. I think they should take it on a case by case if they are that concerned.

As for corgis in shelters--I hear ya!! My husbands dream dog is a corgi. He absolutely loves them and goes nuts anytime he sees them. It will be the next dog we get. I had gone on the internet and found a "border collie/corgi mix" The description was a corgi body with border collie hair and markings. I was so excited because he could have been Reggies little brother or so I thought. When I talked to the shelter for the third time they said he was 25lbs at 4mo. He was going to look nothing like a corgi. We were so disappointed. I check petfinder at least 3 times a week and never really find anything. I guess I will stay patient and eventually one will have to come up. We may just have to drive a little ways. I have considered but just can't bring myself to buy one.... someday.

I totally agree with you about the cardigans, they are really cool looking dogs. My hubby has his heart set on a welsh though. There is what appears to be a really good breeder here in MI who has Cardigans.

#3 ·
Corgis really are wonderful dogs, so I hope you are able to find one near you. I plan to own a Pembroke for the rest of my life because I love the breed so much, so if we ever did get a Cardigan, he'd have a Pembroke brother or sister.

Good luck in your corgi search. If I happen to see anything interesting, I'll let you know.

#4 ·
Adding: this just occured to me... Corgis are herding dogs that still very much have the herding instinct. Ein's absolute favorite game in the entire world is to herd other dogs (either Tucker and Colleen or dogs at the dog park) or herd children (Lucas' cousin lives 45 minutes away and has 3 kids that Ein adores).

I have read that because they still hold the herding instinct, some corgis may nip at children's heels the way they would nip at a cow's heels when herding it. Ein has always been wonderful with children, so I have no personal experience to back that up. But perhaps because of this, the shelter doesn't want to be responsible if a corgi nips at the heels of a child in it's new family and accidently hurts the child?

Ein will chase after 7 year old Jacob all day long, but I've never seen him nip at him. He just wants to chase him. Megan is probably around 16 months, and Ein is very gentle with her. When her oldest brother (14, I think?) play wrestles with her, Ein gets upset and starts barking at Dillon because he's being protective of Megan. Megan is also the only one who he will sit absolutely still for so that she can pet him. He'll jump up on the bigger kids and lick their faces, but has never tried to jump on Megan. The first time he saw her, she was just a few months old, and he instinctively knew to be gentle. Even when I was holding her, Mr. Jealous did not paw at her, try and climb in my lap because he wanted my attention for himself, etc. He's very loving with children.

Corgis can be excellent additions to the family, so I really do hope you are able to find one.

Okay, sorry I wrote a book. I just love talking about my baby.

#5 ·
corgi's can some times be too good with kids, like beagles and bassets and let a little kid pull on them and sit on them and things even though it is hurting them and cause serious damage to them. that may be why they dont adopt out to people with kids, thats how it is at our shelter

#6 ·
corgimom said:
Adding: this just occured to me... Corgis are herding dogs that still very much have the herding instinct. Ein's absolute favorite game in the entire world is to herd other dogs (either Tucker and Colleen or dogs at the dog park) or herd children (Lucas' cousin lives 45 minutes away and has 3 kids that Ein adores).

I have read that because they still hold the herding instinct, some corgis may nip at children's heels the way they would nip at a cow's heels when herding it. Ein has always been wonderful with children, so I have no personal experience to back that up. But perhaps because of this, the shelter doesn't want to be responsible if a corgi nips at the heels of a child in it's new family and accidently hurts the child?

Ein will chase after 7 year old Jacob all day long, but I've never seen him nip at him. He just wants to chase him. Megan is probably around 16 months, and Ein is very gentle with her. When her oldest brother (14, I think?) play wrestles with her, Ein gets upset and starts barking at Dillon because he's being protective of Megan. Megan is also the only one who he will sit absolutely still for so that she can pet him. He'll jump up on the bigger kids and lick their faces, but has never tried to jump on Megan. The first time he saw her, she was just a few months old, and he instinctively knew to be gentle. Even when I was holding her, Mr. Jealous did not paw at her, try and climb in my lap because he wanted my attention for himself, etc. He's very loving with children.

Corgis can be excellent additions to the family, so I really do hope you are able to find one.

Okay, sorry I wrote a book. I just love talking about my baby.
That's OK it makes me feel even better that a corgi will fit nicely into our family!! We have a border collie mix so we know all about herding instinct. But you are right that may be part of what the rescue is thinking. Reggie isn't to bad anymore but once in a while he will get carried away with the kids. I think part of it is his energy level which is extremely high and he just gets excited and forgets everything we have tried to teach him. You have re-energized my search. I was beginning to give up but now I am reassured it will be worth it to find one.:)

#7 ·
Sometimes they like to say dogs are some kind of breed so they'll adopt out even if they're not that breed.

It's kind of like saying, here we have this labrador retreiver, or we have this mutt. What dog do you think people would choose?

I'm not saying mutts are bad dogs, it's just that in the general population, people associate names with things. They want to know that their dog is a specific breed, even if they're too ignorant to know it's not.

I've seen shelters tell people that the puppies they adopted were younger then they actually were so they would still be considered a puppy. The shelters are so overpopulated that they have to do something to adopt out the pets.

#8 ·
I can't agree with you more!!

I've been a Corgi addict for many, many years. I've always wanted to adopt before buying from a breeder, but I also come across the same problem where many of the dogs listed look NOTHING like a Corgi. I sometimes really wonder where the folks come up with the crazy idea that the dog has Corgi in them.

Anyway, just had to mention that I do agree with you about that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.