Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
31K views 64 replies 26 participants last post by  huffr74 
#1 ·
:D :D I seen today on a episode of Miami Ink this woman had a pet Lemur!! The SWEETEST pet it seems!! Sat on her shoulder, gave kisses and walked on a harness like some freaky looking kid!! I so want one as a pet now, probably never would own one :rolleyes: but AWHH...reminded me of a bigger rat!! Anyone know more about pet lemurs or their info is welcomed!

#30 ·
i love lemurs, especially ring tailed lemurs, but i would never have one as a pet.i hate when animals are taken from the wild, it must be so stressful for them, my mum once new someone who i visited once and a while who had squrriel monkey, apparntly the monkey was rescued when its mother died after birth and somehow ( i never asked ) he ended up with the monkey, i think but are not sure, it was taken to the vets to be killed (wrong...so wrong)and the vet refused and took it of the guys hands and looked for a new home to adopt it, the monkey was a playfull little thing, about 1 year old is im not mistaken, it had its own bedroom with lots of potted trees and branches.i loved it but for some reason we lost contact with the man when he moved house.apart from reasons like that, i am totally against having animals like that as pets,i would much more enjoy watching it in its natural habitat on programs such as planet earth rather then knowing the lemur had missed out on its life in the wild
(sorry i rambled on abit, i got carried away)

#36 ·
i love lemurs, especially ring tailed lemurs, but i would never have one as a pet.i hate when animals are taken from the wild,
Ringtailed lemurs are all born and bred in captivity over many generations like most exotics. Unfortunately they can't cross state lines due to being endangered. There are many cases of animals being extinct or endangered in the wild but thriving due to captive breeding for private owners. There are to many endangered species for the few zoos to save them all, with enough genetic diversity.

There are cases of privately owned stock being donated to reintroduction causes, including American Bison. You can thank private owners for their being bison still today.

I know several people with lemurs and they are happy and healthy. True it's more work than most people would wan to put into it but that doesn't mean most people that get them aren't prepared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP2U5hChD5I

#33 ·
That wasn't very nice.
This is an old thread and the OP is not getting a marmoset (I know her in person).For one,they are illegal to own here.She simply just wanted more info.

#40 ·
This is cute too, pygmy slow loris...but dont want one, but CUTE!! The head tilts toward the end is soo kawaii, and you dont have to worry about these running away...you leave him and when you get back he will be a few feet away!! LOL!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdGV6JxXy9s&NR=1

#44 ·
I would consider most of these animals hobby animals.

It's not pets you should run around trying to make more human-like.
When it comes to social animals, people need to have a grop of them, and if it's non social animals, you need to keep the animals seperated.

They might make good hobbt animals for some, but not for all. Most people want pets they can run around and cuttle with, and these people shouldn't have these types of exotic animals.

I think private breeders in the US is okay, but it's NOT okay when they treat primates like humans, or big cats like little kittens - thats just so wrong!

#45 ·
I love the eyes!!

I agree, these are not normal pets,only people who are hobbiest, and even then some cannot own, should have them. Not like a kitty or a doggy!! I probably would not own one, but so cute to look at!!

#48 ·
One thing annoys me when reading trough this thread. People keep on talking about owning one lemur or one primate.
I think this sends out the wrong impresion. Lemurs and primates are very social, and should never be kept alone. Human company is just not good enough, you need atleast two animals for them to thrive.

#50 ·
ahh finaly i have been able to post haha

I saw that episode today aswell! he was so cute he was hugging her and talking and everything, he looked perfectly happy and ive wated one for a very long time! haha
but yeah i just searched to see if its legal to own a lemur in the uk n came across this, if anyone knows please shout me! =] thanks :)
regards
rhiannon

#51 ·
You should never get just one. It sounds like that woman just didn't know what she was doing.
Some years ago you also saw punkers with a single rat on the shoulder, all the time. Now no good rat owner would ever keep a single rat.
It's the same with lemurs.

#52 ·
I know several people who have just one and they are happy well adjusted animals but you have to make the commitment to be their troop which pretty much means never leaving them alone and they are never caged. Heck they can go outside with the owners loose and they don't run off or even want to go far enough to leave sight of the home or owner.

As for UK there is a department with a list of what can and can't be had. I always forget the name but the best place to ask would be here http://www.exotickeepersforum.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php

#53 ·
Imo it's cruelty to keep a primate or lemure and so on alone. A human can never become what a member of the same species is.

To be honest, I'm glad I live in a country where it is illegal to keep highly intelligent and social animals like that alone...

#54 ·
So even if an animal looks and acts happy we are to assume it is mental and emotionally tortured? I don't see how it's cruel if the animal is (or appears to be) happy and healthy.

Not every species of primate or lemur is communal either and trying to force them to live socially to suit the human need(law) of them having one of their own kind can be problematic.

The lemurs I know where the owners only keep one are not kept alone as the people are always with them, work from home or the like. They are happy and have no problems from this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.