Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
9K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  VanillaRat 
#1 ·
I've had both and loved them. Which would be better for my girlfriend. She wants one but can't decide.

#3 ·
she just wants a lizard either a bearded dragon or a leoprad gecko, she has the money for either of them. I've told her the leopard gecko because mine took less care that my bearded dragon. just looking for some other opinions.

#4 ·
Sasami, we are in the reptile section, so I believe Blueram is asking about Bearded Dragons and Leopard Geckos.

Blueram, you need to consider how much room your girlfriend has for a pet. Bearded Dragons need a cage with room to roam and climb.

I have never had leopard geckos, and I've heard that they are nocturnal. If so, they may not be very sociable.

My fave lizard, has been my collards. I would get a pair. They were very active and entertaining.

#5 ·
I think the best for your girlfriend may be a leopard gecko, being us girls like to hold things, ( :) ) And leopard geckos can get very hand tame. They also have a great personality. While bearded may be more reptile esque, Leopard geckos are so much cooler. Its really up to your girlfriend, leopard geckos are easy and dont take much room, they are a great starter pet, maybe start with a leopard and move up to a bearded later?
Though leopard geckos are pretty addicting, that must be why I have 3.

You said that you have had some in the past, just make sure to do your own lil physical on the lil guy, vent is clear, stomach isnt rock hard, fat tail... ect. Good luck.

#6 ·
how handlable are the collards?

#7 ·
I don't remember how long it took for my leopard gecko to be pretty tame, and my bearded dragon is to young to start calming down but i would assume that the leopard takes less time to be mellow. I also think that the leopard gecko would be a better pet for her but she also fell in love with a really nice adult female bearded dragon at Scales and Tails.
Thanks for the advice.

#10 ·
I love my bearded dragon and my leo both! The leo is very easy to take care of and is very low maintenance. My beardie is a big higher maintenance but very fun to bring out of the cage and take places. :) Either would suite me!!

Ask her what type of food she is willing to prepare on a daily basis. Beardies require a bit more in their diet than leos do. :)

#11 ·
I never had a bearded..so im going with leopard geckos, I have 2 and i absolutly adore them. They dont need to big of an area..mine are in a 55 and a 40 gallon, but they dont need it to be that big...i just wanted them to have more room.

But leo's are really good, easy to care for, easy maitnence. ect.

#12 ·
how much time does she want to put into taiming it and not being liked? sence she fell for an already taime beardie... i have an iguana and its hard when he doesnt like me still and its been a month or two... I think but am not sure that leos taime quicker than beardies... also what life span is she looking for? can she handle a pet that lives as long as a beardie? a leo? does she want to be able to take out her pet and let it run around and hang out?

I have herd that waterdragons are really neat pets too... and i love my iguana but hes also going to live like 20 years and takes alot of work and effert but is a veggitarian and has alot of personality

#15 ·
Kendalle said:
maybe she should make a pro con list

Like leo
pro- tiny, cute, less care
con- less activity, blah blah blah... i dont know either critter well
I think making a pro/con list should be done for anyone considering a new pet!

Leos don't have as much personality as a beardie or an iguana.So if she wants something with MORE personality,maybe she should go with a beardie.However they do need more care and so as a beginner pet,a leo would be better in my opinion!

#16 ·
I would have to say start out with a Leo, she is a beginner reptile owner and they will be much easier for her to handle. Other reptiles that might be easy are iguanas who can be handles quite a bit. Beardeds can be a bit harder to handle and take a lot more time and money so I would suggest she starts small and works her way up otherwise she may have more then she can handle.

#17 ·
Iguanas need proper diet requirements too tho and she should REALLY look into that,if she wanted an iguana.Sadly iguanas are one of the most neglected reptiles because people do not properly research them!

#18 ·
and also get to be 6 foot long, live 20 years and have lived up to 29, need lots of care, they can get grumpy when its mating season, if you dont handle them often they dont like you, they can bite to the bone when full grown, they can sometimes be scared to death by birds, they are excape artists, they like to play tricks on you. They do have lots of personality, seam like they could start talking at any molment. (i think mine would have a potty mouth) they require fresh food daily so you cant go on vacation and just have extra food and water and they will be fine... its common for females to become gravid and need surgery... they often eat things in your house and need surgery...

I do not suggest an iguana to anyone that does not want a huge responsibility... I love my iguana and did TONS of research, and wanted one for years I am up to the challenge of one but many arent... they are active in the morning most and go to bed when the sun goes down.. mine doesnt stay up past 7:30

IF she is thinking of getting an iguana she should read the ultimate owners manual by james w hatfield III its a huge 600 page book that talks about everything.

#19 ·
Good info Kendalle!

My mom's friend actually had an iguana some years ago,he liked climbing the curtains! One day he swallowed a rock or something and died! :(

#20 ·
mine lounges at the blinds, he normally ends up between two and swings and looks out the window at the birds hes a silly little guy.

they have really really bad gag reflex once they try and eat something they have to eat it. so you have to be careful, and most vets say they like things that are shiny no one knows why.. most of that is metal or glass neither is good for them... they also want anything green. mine always thinks mountian dew bottles is food...

#22 ·
Murphy said:
We had a Leopard gecko and had a hard time getting it to eat and it was really difficult to handle. That was years ago. Hubby just got a crested gecko and man they are adorable... lol. We hand feed him with a spoon as we just got him and want to make sure he is eating well lol. He does like to jump but as long as you sit with them they are easy to handle.

~Jenn
Your leo must of never been handled alot,as if they get handled alot as youngsters,they are really handable as adults.Both of my leos are very handable and my male likes to sit on my head.

As for being hard to eat,well some leos can become picky eaters...especially if always fed butterworms,waxworms and silkworms.

I would LOVE to see pics of your crestie! I love them and eventually want one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.