Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

New Chin Owner

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  pawsomely cute 
#1 ·
About three weeks ago i bought a female chinchilla who is now named Lex. I did some research before hand to prepare myself and so far she has been extremely easy to handle compared to my more troublesome animals. The only thing that has shocked me is the fact that at random moments in time she starts making a sort of weezing sound. I looked on the internet but could not find a direct answer to the problem, so can anyone tell me why she's doing that?

#3 ·
^^^ I agree.
Try not to handle her too much (not related to your problem no)
I know it's hard not to do,they are so soft & furry& cuddly :lol:
They aren't too hard to care for,you'll really enjoy having her as a pet.
& In the future you might consider getting a 2nd.
They are social critters ;)
You'll also be amazed at the different noises they make :)
If the sound being made isnt on the link above& you have a feeling it's not "normal" go with your hunch.
When in doubt...check it out ;)
Keep us updated!!
:pics:

#4 ·
Lex was just making the warning sound, but i guess i just found it weird becuase she would do it when nothing was going on.

#6 ·
mine make noises when they are sleeping, i think they are dreaming.. not sure how to describe it, kinda like a squeek sound.

#9 ·
My Hailey did that a lot when I got her...like the page says they get very worried and scared from sounds that get made in the distances. Hailey would do that when she slept a lot. Then after a year and a half of having her she started making that noise when she wanted attention. How old is your new chin? If its under 6 months I would highly recommend spending a few hours a day holding and playing with him/her. If he.she is over a year you need to calmly go into it... I did this with my chins but Hailey was too old when I got her and needed to build the trust, Henry was a baby and he needed to be played with to have people interaction...now they both have a grand ol time!!! :) Enjoy chins are atrip!!

#10 ·
Chins are very social animals but can be kept alone just fine! My chinchilla actually preferred me to being housed with another chin. She was very moody and would even spray people that walked by her cage if she didn't know them. She may be telling you that she wants some attention! :) I would definitly give her some company.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.