1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  luvnature 
#1 ·
anyone have any care information on bettas

#3 · (Edited)
Vanilla_Rat said:
What do you need or want to know?
Yeah?

Want basic info?
Bettas: don't house two males together under any circumstance.Not even a group.Females can be housed together,but more than two.Go with 3 or 5.Odd numbers are the best.
Yes,they can be community fish.Keep in mind there will be some exceptions& some won't get along in a community,that is to be expected with any fish or animal you buy.
There are fishies you shouldn't house with your betta.Theres debating over bettas& guppies.I kept bettas& guppies together before with no problems.But I have no luck with guppies.
My female is housed with 2 platys,2 corydoras& a snail in a heavily planted 20 gallon aquarium.I'd recommend keeping lone bettas in at least 5 gallons,personally I prefer 10gallons for fish tanks.I only have one fish tank,as mentioned,a 20gallon.I turned the rest of my tanks into terrariums ;).
Those betta kits...are cruel.They have goldfish kits too,which is insane,goldfish needs 20gallons per fish.

Bettas do not like a lot of current.I think I drove people partially insane with my filter problems in the past.I now use an AquaClear.No problems.I use filtration since it's a community tank.

Feed a varied diet.Too many people think fish just like flakes.
Not so,& those "betta vases"? Cruelty beyond cruelty.
These fish like meat.You can find dried worms anywhere in pet sections of pet stores& places like walmart (pet section).

I would stay clear of bubble making aquatic ornamentation.Again with the current.
Oh& bettas breathe from the surface.

Very basic info I guess.
But ask some questions =]

#4 ·
I have kept bettas with guppies and platties before too.However some bettas have a more aggressive personality and will go after other fish.Tetras (most species) are fin nippers so should not be kept with bettas.

#6 ·
and male bettas with gouramis generally dont work well...bc the two are very closely related...however both female species can be housed...just not male

#8 ·
You can also use the tab labeled search bar up near the top of every page....type in what info your looking for like...bettas...betta care...etc.
Then up will pop lotz of threads that contain posts that have info on what you might be looking for.

The search bar is a good way to find info and do research on pets you have or want to have later on down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.