Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

why my piggies arent full of life?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Rodie61 
#1 ·
ok, I know that guinea pigs have to get used to their new home and their owners, I did gave them some time and space (now I have three), but they are still so depressed. they dont do much, except male likes to jump and sqeak. but other two girls are like being depressed, they dont really jump. I was recording them with a digital camera several times, to see what they do when I'm out, but they still sit in their bedrooms and do nothing. when I look on you tube, other guinea pigs, even new, just runs around, moves stuff, jumps a lot, does all the little cute things and all in front of their owners. are my piggies scared of me? or I just got more shy and calm guinea pigs? but I have them for like a month now. but a friend said that her new piggie would only run around when out of the cage, but mine dont really do that. hm,,,,

#2 ·
How big are their cages? What are their diets like?

#3 ·
I do everything what people always tells me to do. I clean the cage, I do everything else. well their cage is 2 meters long, and 60cm wide, but its separated almost in the middle. luckly my two girls dont fight, miracle. but boy is in another half. I think they have enough space. and then I also take them out to eat clovers. and they eat what any other guinea pig eats. I bought a food for them and I give them apples, cucumbers, parsley, and other things.
like people told me, thats what I do.

#4 ·
The cage is a little small for 3 pigs, especially if it's split in half and 2 girls are in half of it. :) (If I'm doing my conversions right, LOL)

As to their diet, it may play a part in their lack of activity. Most piggies are only going to be energetic in and about food. They need hay 24/7, free choice, always available, a plain pellet 1/8 - 1/4 of a cup per pig, per day, and a cup of fresh veggies once per day per pig.

Also, adding toys for them, including small plastic balls for cats, chewing sticks, paper bags full of hay, etc, will make them more active. Hope this helps! :)

#5 ·
Some piggies have different personalitys too: One of our piggies, Lizzie, is very out going and always begs for attention when you walk by. My piggy, Sunny, is extremly shy and darts right into her huts when she sees the slightest movement! Maybe your piggies are just more calm than other peoples pigs. Or if you adopted them from a shelter or other rescue group, you might not know their exact age, and they might be a little older and have less energy. I hope they do good! :)

#8 ·
i have noticed that if you move them to a larger set up they see to popcorn and seem happier in general....perhaps you could enlarge the setup and maybe neuter the male so he can socialize with the females, i bet he would be happier with a companion whether it be the females or another male

#9 ·
Yea my piggies just sat there all of the time, looking at me like *do u expect us to move?* the only thing i could get them to do is climb into their cage when they were done outside... and sometimes i could make a trail of hay for them to follow so they actually moved!! but they were both perfectly healthy, happy piggies who lived a very long, happy life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.