Paw Talk - Pet Forums - View Single Post - How to make my new Rat welcome?
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 11:13 AM
VanillaRat
RAT ADDICT

CongRATS on getting a rat! They make wonderful companions.

First off,can you get him a buddy? A same sex buddy.Rats are VERY social and do better...they thrive in the company of other rats.No matter how much attention and love you give them,nothing compares to another rat.Especially for the times you cannot be there.

When are you getting another cage? I personally do not like tanks for rats,because rats love to climb.You can get some awesome cages here! Martin's Cages Inc. - The source for all your pet cage needs.

Male rats are more laid back and lazy then the females,so if he doesn't play,don't take offense.I have 5 male rats and 3 of them have their playful moments,but the other 2 are always lying around.I prefer males,because they will sit and watch TV with you.Females will rather run around and explore.

You can try giving him cardborad boxes,tissues...etc.Or even hand wrestle with him.There are many little games YOU can play with your rats as well.Try pea fishing,most rats LOVE that.

As for the wheel...don't fret,many rats do not care for wheels (including females) and will never use them.Other rats love them.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome