Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

What do you feed your dog?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  leplake 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of changing theirs diet from Purina One Puppy to a raw meat diet. I was just curious what others fed their dogs and if anyone does the raw meat diet.

#3 · (Edited)
My boys get Innova EVO. Be careful with which raw diet you choose, MANY out there are misleading and not balanced correctly for a dog. Also, you are going from feeding a very low quality food, to a very rich diet...this could end up being very hard on your dogs system. I suggest switching to a higher quality kibble first for a while, and then over to a correctly balanced raw diet. Here, do some reading on The Dog Food Project - How does your Dog Food Brand compare? and Our Dogs Online - Powered by UBB.threads™ before you make your final decision.

EDIT TO ADD:

I just realized that you have two puppies and they are both possibly large breed dogs. It's not really reccomended to feed puppies a raw diet, because 1. Puppies stomachs are extremely sensitive and can end up having serious digestion problems 2. Because they are large breed dogs, they really need a large breed puppy formula that is specifically formulated for large breed growth, a raw diet cannot do that. I would reccomend choosing a high quality large breed puppy formula, a few good ones are:
Innova Large Breed Puppy
Solid Gold Wolf Cub
Wellness
Nutro has a good large breed puppy formula
Timberwolf organics
Orijen
Canidae
Diamond large breed puppy

#4 ·
All three of mine get a raw diet. (1 90 pound lab and two 40 pound mixes) They absolutely LOVE it all, but some of their favorites are ground guts (we get them from a raw food store near us, it comes in a tub so we dont have to mess with it) and tripe (which is really just more guts) And for snacks they absolutely love chicken feet. :p
You have to be careful though to make sure there is variety of meats, bones, and organ meats... when we first started raw we fed them mainly chicken (like chicken leg quarters) it started out fine, but then one of my dogs started having vitamin deficiencies, so we had to add in other meats. Feeding raw is a really great thing!!!! Congratulations and good luck!

#5 ·
I know a lot of people switched to a raw diet after that pet food recall. It seems like a really healthy way to go because you don't know what is in your pet food.

It is kind of wierd knowing that there are only 2 major pet food producing companies in the US (for cats and dogs anyway). All the stuff comes from the same place and even then you don't know what is in it. If you feed raw you know what you are feeding them.

Sorry I can only add my opinion on the matter, I really don't know anything about feeding raw because I don't have dogs or cats. If you do a google search I'm sure a lot of webpages and forums will pop up because like I said it's become popular now that the pet food recall thing happened.

#6 ·
I feed Innova. Raw diets are great but you really, really have to research. Sometimes it can do more harm then good, it seems.

I could never do it anyways because raw meat makes me feel sick, haha. Maybe some day!

#8 ·
This sounds like a really great dry food.

I just want to remind people that you don't have to feed and entirely raw diet... It's still good for dogs who are on kibble to have a meaty bone every once in a while... It's great for their teeth, keeps em nice and shiney, and the more marrow in them the better (good for their guts) Our dogs chew on them for days.

#9 ·
I've been giving them just chicken for the pass three days. I am doing this process slowly. One chicken leg and kibble for the next two weeks and then I'm going to increase the chicken two piece a day and less kibble for another week or two. Then after that I will be adding turkey, pork, beef, and fish. I'm taking my time so they don't get upset tummies.

I have done lots of research and even joined two different discussion boards to learn more. I even looked up different sites on this topic. Breeders that I've talk to start the pups on a raw meat diet after thier weaned. Also raw meat diet is suppose to extend the life of your dog by 5 years. I've looked at all the different brands of food but I think this is the best for them. The reason they are on Purina One Puppy is because that is what the rescue gave them.

#11 ·
This sounds like your doing a really great job! Just make sure you remember to feed organ and gut meats too... they have nutrients and vitamins that muscle meats don't have. (we found that out the hard way...on only chicken one of my dogs lost all his hair opps :p )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.