Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Blood in cats eye

11K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mulder 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago I thought that Tyler's iris looked more yellowish even reddish than normal. I could not get him in good lighting to really see and then when I did he was fine so I thought it was my imagination.
Last night I thought I saw it again and this morning I was sure that there was a red spot on the bottom part of the iris. I didn't think it was completely critical but thankfully I did call the vet. He couldn't see Ty today so he sent me over the emergency vets. I left work as soon as my vet told me how serious it was.
Tyler has high blood pressure. As a result his retinas are detaching. His left eye will probably not improve but his right should. I realized how bad his eyesight was when he was walking around the examine room. It was obvious that he could see things far away but not close up. He kept walking into the wall but he was looking up at the examine table and the counter top.
He is now on meds for his blood pressure.
I am posting this so everyone knows - if they think their kitties eyes look like they have blood take them immediately to the vets.

Reactions: HappyDancer
#3 ·
Thanks. I thought everyone could benefit from it. I never thought it was so serious.
I am not overly concerned about his eyesight being poor. I called Jay from the office and told him Tyler was walking into the walls. Jay's immediate response was that he never does that at home. He knows the house so well we had no idea that his eyesight was failing. We thought he was going deaf but never questioned his eyes.
I still am unsure if he is deaf or he just has selective hearing. Although when he is sleeping he does not budge at all.
My poor old man. I still cannot get over that he has high blood pressure. He is so laid back. Nothing upsets him. The dogs crash into him and he doesn't even care.

#4 ·
Wow, I'm so glad you got him to a vet, and he's on med's now. That is something I would not have thought of. My meecee did get profoundly deaf but was still able to see pretty well. Thanks for the info

#5 ·
my boyfriends parents had a blind and deaf dog...she was that way for the last few years of her life, and she was happy and got around great...we just never moved any furniture and never left shoes laying around...

I was just discussing this with Ken, he felt the same way as I, without you posting this I would never had thought it could be anything like this...

Its wierd how its the low key calm kitties that seem to have high cholesterol and blood preasure...I hope everything goes well for him and give him many kitty loves from us

#8 ·
Thanks guys. I am glad that he sat in the sunlight so I could really see his eye well.
You would never know anything was wrong with him by the way he is acting. He is completely normal. His eye is already looking less yellow/red.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.