Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Post Neuter - questions

10K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Blacksheep 
#1 ·
This is copy and pasted from my diary... but I felt like posting it here, because well, as I say later I don't exactly want to ask anyone these things out loud or in person. lol

Got up early this morning, got ready, woke up a sleepy little girl who I dressed before she really could even stand up, haha. And off we went to go pick up Boudreaux. Delta kept saying to me, "He's tired, mama." I said that yeah, he probably would be a bit sleepy when we got him.

Surprisingly enough, he came out into the waiting room just searching, looking from one person to the next, until I said, "Hey big guy! We're right here..." And he whipped his head the other way, saw Delta and me, and just didn't stop wiggling with excitement. Not so tired afterall, Delta!

Right now he's beside my chair, snoozing on the floor, and Delta is sitting right beside him. "He's better, ma." She keeps telling me. Lets give him a week hunny. ;)

Now, maybe some will this this is inappropriate to discuss, but... I thought that his ball sack would have been removed as well? I mean, I've never had a boy dog in my entire life before, and any dog I've seen fixed didn't have this empty saggy sack like he's got. Does it shrink? Or is it going to be like that forever (not that it matters but its very obviously empty looking to me, knowing what they used to look like! lol) because he'd been fixed after they were already well pronounced? I mean, heck guys, he's a freaking Great Dane, his balls were huge. LOL So just imagine an equally huge empty bag hanging between his legs!

Anyways, another thing I'm a little surprised about, it looks like they incision they made might've been actually towards the back of his penis... (This could be wrong, I haven't looked closely, I'm just leaving him rest.) But I'd been under the impression that (since they didn't remove testicles, skin and everything) they'd cut on the sack itself, but it seems normal looking (minus the empty look of course).

LOL I guess I have questions that I don't really want to ask anyone out loud! LOL

When we got home, I sent proof of his neuter to his breeder, so I'll be receiving his papers soon. Thats exciting. ;)

See less See more
#3 ·
It will shrink... I had all of my guys neutered after 6 months of age. They were fully dropped at neutering, so they had the saggy sack afterwords. All of them were shrunk back withing a few months.
If for some strange reason it doesn't shrink back, I believe you can have corrective surgery to fix it.

Yay for getting your guy neutered though!!!

#4 ·
hee hee... Okay, I mean, if it doesn't end up shrinking, its just skin and I'm sure I'll stop staring at it, eventually. :lol:

And its a relief to have him fixed now. When we bought him we'd planned on doing it right away but his breeder suggest waiting till at least 8 months old so he'd develop (like his head and his muscles or something I guess). Then when that time came, we were in the process of moving out of state, then Ben was without work and it had to be put on hold.

I'm so excited to sit down and just look at his papers, even though I've already seen them, lol.

#7 ·
:yes: Totally normal, Mal. They make the incision there to remove ALL of the testicle, including the part which attaches them to the body, for lack of a better layman explanation. The scrotum will shrink up quite a bit over the next few weeks, no worries!

#9 ·
hi guys my dog was neutered a while back and it seems like hes become fearful of everything. i understand that halloween had just past, but even now if he hears one firework he will turn and run home. he also seems to be urinating in the house when hes scared. is this normal? im worried about him. it makes me feel that it was a wrong decision to neuter him. he use to be very lively. not everytime hes scared.. i just dont know what to do. please help. any advice would be great...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.