Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

ive only got 2 babies left :(

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Luckybunny 
#1 ·
they are 1 week old, and we have lost about 5 over the last two days...they mother hasnt been feeding them and keeping them warm. so we have been tring to do the best for the last two babies...
does anyone have any suggestions to how we could raise these as the mother isnt helping. we r ringing the vet soon...but just wondering if you would have any other suggestions!!!
thanks so much

-tegan

#2 ·
Mother rabbits only stay with the babies in the mornings and evening to feed unlike other animals. They will keep the babies in a nest made of hair which keeps them very warm.
Try not to touch the babies, and just make sure they are warm. Call you Vet, though just know it is very hard to hand raise baby bunnies and that 90% will not survive without mom's milk.

Also, does Mom have a quiet area to care for her babies? If there are noises or people constantly poking in on her she may feel stressed.

#5 ·
thank you sooo much, yeah they are mini lops, and the mothers 1st ever litter. she had 7, and only 2 left. the two left we found were cold and hungry, we have tried to get the mum to look after them (we have a decent sized straw box, thats very sheltered from the weather.)
there was a fur nest, but now there isnt and the kittens were alone, i have rung the vet, she said she has some forumla so in an hour were going to get some of that into them. fingers crossed that they will live...but yes 90% they wont...:( i have bred dwarfs before, and none have died, but now as we are starting the mini lops we havnt had a very good run as yet!
(the mother is a show mini lop) shes a young rabbit under 1 year old) the father is a beauty hes so quiet. but yeah thats for all the suggestions, il keep you filled in, and if they live :) il take picture for you all! :D

thanks again

#7 ·
Good luck! I hope they survive. Is the mother still producing milk? Because if she is, the best thing for them is always mothers milk. I've heard of people having luck raising the babies by holding the mother, and letting the babies nurse from her twice a day. Then all you'd need to do is hold the mother for feedings in the morning and night, and keep them nice and warm during the rest of the time. The mother might not like it much, but if she's still producing milk, her milk would be healthier then the formula, and it would probably be easier to get the babies to drink from mom then it would be for them to take a bottle.

But then again, your whole problem could be that she's not producing enough milk for them in the first place. Do you know how to tell when they have full bellies?

Here's some websites that might help you out:
http://www.rabbit.org/care/orphan.html
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/orphan.html

#8 ·
thanks so much...but i was to late for the little black one...and last night when i was just about to feed the last one...her heart beat went out, i was so sad i kept on trying to get her to live....she didnt come back though...

il keep that information incase the next litter has problems...
im just so sad i couldnt do anymore for them. they were 1 week old weak little things...i knew they didnt have much chance but i couldnt just leave them..:(

thanks for all the support. and for the next litter il fill you in... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.