Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Fleas!!!!!!!! Help!!!!

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  dogslife 
#1 ·
we are having a BIG problem with fleas!!!! we have tried everything, prescription from vet, pill , the stuff from the store, shampoo, you name it. my dogs are scratching themselves raw, and the fleas are just crawling all over them. i feel so bad for them. the climate here is perfect for the little buggers! especially after the hurricane rains that went thru. if anyone has any idea that might help get rid of the little buggers i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

#2 ·
Keep the treatments up. If the fleas are under the house and can work up through baseboards then it might take awhile.

Fleas can lie dormant for over a year I have read. They are picked up by vibrations. They move toward the vibration and the pet gets infected. Then they drop off and etc. The one thing going for you is that every flea you kill is less to be around. You can spray with the flea chemicals, then lay carpet powder. It should kill off the infestation eventually.

There are two types of fleas also. Dog fleas and cat fleas. (This is what I was told.. I am not sure the scientific differences.) Dog fleas are fairly easy to get rid of, but cat fleas can infest dogs or cats. I am outside my actual knowledge of area so I may have it all wrong, it being second-hand information. Anyhow, those are what I have heard. If it is right, then targetting for the type of flea might be necessary.

#3 ·
What prescriptions has the pet given you? Last year I used Frontline Plus and IT DID NOT WORK. We used it when the directions said to and it just didn't work. This year I got Revolution and all the fleas on the cat are gone. We still have a problem in the house but that is being worked on. I went through this last year and really you should take care of the flea problem on the pet before tackling the house. As long as there is some kind of preventative on the pet it shouldn't get reinfested. Does the dog have long hair? It might help to get the dog groomed then use the preventative. It will help kill the fleas if you just wash the dog in plain DAWN dish soap.

As for the house the best thing to do is vacuum. You can try the flea bombs and stuff like that but all they don't really get to the fleas that are hidden. When you vacuum you have to vacuum EVERYTHING. You have to pull out furniture, vacuum in closets, under couch cushions..I even vacuumed our curtains and all around the windows. You really have to keep on it. They'll go away you just have to stay on top of the situation.

Another thing..if you decide to use the flea bombs you have to bomb twice. Bomb the first time then wait 2 weeks and bomb again. Bombs don't kill the larvae that get stuck down in carpeting and stuff like that so you have to wait until they hatch.

If they aren't biting you then be greatful. I am VERY allergic to insect bites and I have a flea bite on my arm now that keeps getting bigger. I might have to go to the doctors eventually.

#5 ·
i have tried EVERYTHING. we dont have prob in the house. i shampoo our WHITE carpet pretty often. (i dont know who thought white carpet would be good???) and I put bleach in with the mix. i have tried advantage, frontline, dog flea shampoos you name it. last night i did a bit of research. i found that fleas dont like mint rosemary and a few other herbs, so i made a mix with mint and rosemary, i have it in the house. steeped it for 30 minutes, added water and sprayed the dogs down pretty good. should s seen the llittle buggers run! i also found an all natural dogs flea and tick reppellant , just like the kind you put on there back. it has all the herb oils in it that repell and kills fleas and ticks. i will let you know how it works.wish my puppies luck!!!!

#7 ·
Keep us posted about the all natural remedies! Yes I do remember reading about putting some garlic in their food.

It's kind of surprising that you're not noticing any in the house. I would still try to vacuum some to get any stray ones just in case. If they are in the house even if you aren't seeing them, the dogs can still get reinfested.
Have you tried Revolution yet? That stuff is amazing and it kills heartworms and mites as well (you'll probably want to see your vet first because of the heart worm thing)

#9 ·
If the dogs go outdoors, you can try any of the outdoor lawn and garden products. Many of them kill ants as well as fleas. Just read the directions and be careful of some of the more potent ones that they don't get in a water source and kill animals.

I know how fleas can be. I get an infestation about once every 2 years. Luckily the treatments I have used have worked on my animals. They don't go outside much either (unless they escape out the door).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.