Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Penelope has diarrhea

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  icadea 
#1 ·
We went out for a couple of hours today and when I came home and checked on Penelope there was bits of poo spread out on the rug. It was dried already. I picked her up and her tush and back feet were pretty messy. The poo is not runny - it's more soft. Since she is pretty good with her litter box I am not sure if she got it on her tush and then hopped it all over the room or what. There are normal poos in her box. Not a ton but a nice normal amount for her.
I cleaned up her tush. I had to give her a bunny butt bath. She was very good. I dried her with a towel. I turned off her ceiling fan and she is now in her room cleaning up.
I have cleaned the poo off the rug. It was not wet and runny. Just like mushy poo that had dried. I found it smeared in a lot of places. At least it seemed that way as I was cleaning up. I had to remove some of the cardboard layers in her boxes that make up her play palace. I am washing her blankies now - although none of them looked dirty.
I wanted everyone's opinion - I thought I should skip her salad tonight - do you guys agree? I do have down ox bow bunny basics t and of course plenty of hay. I often thought she was not eating her hay as she should but I put out a nice amount twice a day so it's hard to tell. Hers just never looks like it is touched much - but I also thought that maybe she was just neater about her litter box than the other buns.
Anything else you think I should do?
Of course if there is anything wrong in the morning I will be calling the vet - which I may do either way.

See less See more
#3 ·
When I have bunnies with tummy troubles I don't give them their salads, or any treats or anything, just plenty of fresh hay and a small amount of pellets until they are feeling better.

Make sure she's getting plenty of fluids. If she still has diarrhea you can give her some unflavored pedialyte to help replace electrolytes and keep her hydrated. Just add a little of it to her drinking water.

I hope she's feeling better soon!

#4 ·
Thanks guys. She is doing much better tonight. No more messy tush. Dragonrain - I did skip her salad last night. Tonight I only gave her a couple small pieces of lettuce. Still no treats. I think she is still rather upset with me for the bunny butt bath. She really is giving me the cold shoulder. But she did come out of her room and went under our bed - that seems like the "thing" for buns to do in our house - sit under mom and dads bed.
I called the vet - they said since it was mushy and not runny at all that I should watch her and do what you said - tons of hay and some pellets.
I made them their yearly check up on Saturday anyway. I am about a month past due on that. Summer just flew by. I get a 10% discount for bringing in 3 buns or more - luckily I have 4 to bring!

#7 ·
No iceberg - she gets romaine, red leaf, green leaf, escarole, chiccory... I use the list on the house rabbit site. I also ask my vet as well. I just found out they can have string beans - but I have not tried them yet.
I think the problem was either too much banana or too much salad all together. She is lighter than I thought she was and it could have been too much water for her. I never really thought they could have too much veggies - but now I am not so sure.

#8 ·
Good. It is amazing the people that think any type of greens are ok. If she still seems sickly, I would sick with just hay and rabbit pellets. What type of pellets do you feed her?

(Sorry for all the questions) I don't own any rabbits right now, but my sister and I bred them and showed them for YEARS!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.