Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

iguana toys??? don't exist?

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  WingedWolfPsion 
#1 ·
I really want to get my iguana something fun for him in his cage, but from what I can find, iguana's don't have fun things!! nothin in my iguana's cage is made for iguana's and none looks overly fun.

He has 3 sets of human storage shelves, one is 5 floors and 2 are 4

he has a Kitty Kabana bed he likes to sleep in and on the roof of

He has a ferret hammock to sleep on under a cooler basking spot

He has a kitty litter box toilet

he has 2 branches that connects his shelf with the kitty kabana, and his hammock, and his tall shelf basking spot.

and he has 2 dog dishes small breed for water large breed for food.

so he can climb and sleep. but isn't there anything more fun than that?

I want to get him a cheap dog toy shaped like an iguana for a pillow, for his basking spot i'm sure he will use it, but other than that I have no idea on what he would like

I got him iguana cactus treats before but he hated them, and i thought they were grossish too. they smelled icky.

See less See more
#2 ·
i just wants to say isnt that ridikulus pet product for reptile is always so poor i dont know who design this stuff but they must dont have reptile cause it never is good. like any specifik gecko formulate foods i looks at the ingredents it is horrible unedible things that no normal gecko wuld eat.

ok well anyway so for sugestons maybe a large bird swing? or a fake tree (like they sells for house decoraton). it culd be hard to find one strudy enuff for a large iguana but i dont know. sorry i never haved an iguana so i know im not much help but i had to say that thing about reptile product.

#3 ·
Kerm's cage sounds pretty busy.. i don't know what iguanas would consider fun? Every time I've ever seen an iguana all there doing is sitting in the sun (or under there light) Maybe a tunnel to go in? like a piece of pvc pipe or something? prolly the only thing i could think of.

btw.. i havent seen any recent Kerm pics lately.

#4 ·
Would he get any pleasure from a jingly bell? One of those balls designed for kittens with a little bell inside, perhaps tied up so he can bash it about with his nose? Or one of those blanket things with the crinkly plastic inside that makes a good noise when you touch it? I have no actual idea, just making random suggestions!

#6 ·
Well, depending on the size of the enclosure, there are a couple of things you could add to make it seem fun. Iguana's like to jump and hang on things, as long as it can support the weight. So a solid tree, or something like soft drapes that could hang down from the ceiling would be nice. Some igs like to high dive into water, providing it's deep enough to be safe. I have a rope ladder in my ig's enclosure, as well as a little disco ball with a bell. You could check out some bird toys, as long as the ig can't get hurt on them. Most igs usually just like to climb, jump, hang around and occasionally swim.

#7 · (Edited)
Yes, I'm afraid reptiles don't actually play...thus, no use for toys. Toys would be ignored. (Well, there's one case for stuffed animals regarding male iguanas, but we won't go there). They're a simpler creature than mammals or birds. They enjoy basking, eating, and hiding, lol. Plenty of room and strong climbing branches will make him happier. Reptiles never show any signs of boredom or stress from lack of things to do. If you want to stimulate his mind, consider target training.

(One exception to the above--Komodo dragons have been spotted engaging in what looks suspiciously like play, but they are the brightest of the reptiles known, and no others have ever been seen playing).

Does he actually use the litter box as a toilet? I know some reptiles develop a preferential spot to go in their cage. Rather amazing if he does. Just be sure it doesn't have actual kitty litter in it--that could be very dangerous if he ate it, and often contains chemicals he doesn't need to encounter.

Some of the formulated diets for reptiles are horrible, and there's no regulation or oversight of such products. Repashy crested gecko diet is the only exception I'm aware of so far. There are a few other crested gecko diets that are also supposedly good. But, those are for crested geckos...not iguanas. (The diets have revolutionized keeping rhacodactylus geckos--the mixes of fruit and insects people were offering them were extremely difficult to balance, and a lot of cresties failed to thrive or developed deficiencies when fed that way--so, natural or no, the CGD is a far superior food to anything humans could provide before).

Some tortoise supply companies are now selling seed mixes for edible plants for various species. You might consider picking up one that's heavy on flowers and broadleaf plants. Your iguana would LOVE edible flowers as a treat (at least, most iguanas do).
You could plant him his own garden patch to give him fresh treats from all summer.

#10 ·
I don't have kermo anymore, turned out it was a she and she died of cancer this last year.

She did use a litter box nearly 100% of the time, it was filled with water though. Iguanas are easy to add a litter box, nearly all igs will simply go in water if they have it there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.