Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Just got a piggy!!

Tags
piggy
4K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  ChelMwahh 
#1 ·
So Saturday I got my first piggy! I really know nothing about them. He was a suprise gift from my boyfriend. Anything you guys can tell me about him?? I bought piggy food from the pet store and bought him a decently sized cage. I also got him one of those plastic igloos, a food bowl, and a water bowl. Is there anything else I need to get for him?

#5 ·
Congratulations! I've never had a guiner but I do know that they NEED vitamin C! There is some in their food but it can deteriorate over time and isnt enough. I recommend you get some vitamin supplements to add to the water. I put it in my rabbits water and he loves it, some of them have taste.

Here is a link that has a bit more about it
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=18+1800&aid=620 and if this doesn't work just google "guinea pig vitamin C" and you'll get tons of stuff. Good luck!

#6 ·
Vitamin supplements shouldn't be added to the water -- vitamin C is extremely unstable and breaks down quickly. They need fresh vegetables instead!

#8 ·
Thanks Everyone!
Right now I have aspen bedding in his cage I am preety sure its ok to use becuase I use it for my rabbits. I am planning on buying Carefresh when I change his litter. Thanks for all the websites. I will be sure to look at them. Also, I am planning on getting him a freind. Its a kinda long story but I started trying to adopt two bonded piggies from a rescue that I found on petfinder.com. I was almost done with everything and setting up a date to pick them up when I got really bad news. One of the piggies had to have surgery on his teeth and was in really bad condition and probably wasnt going to make it. I was so upset. So far thats the last I heard from the rescue. If everything goes well though, he may have 2 friends to play with.

Ohh yeah...right now I have him in a pretty large cage from the pet store. If I do get the other piggies, however, i am going to build them a big C&C cage.

#9 ·
They need ALOT of hay.Daily.
And veggies!!

C&C cages really are the best too.
I made a nice big one for my guys when I had them.Too bad you were not closer,I would give you all my grids and supplies,as I have no piggies now and they are not being used.

And yes...they need friends! They are very social little guys!

#10 ·
The c&c cages are so easy! I don't have pigs but I do babysit for two from time to time.
I even have a c&c cage for them here. I just break it down and store it in the basement.
I use that paper bedding and timothy grass hay. They are on oxbow pellets. They get romaine lettuce and other greens. They love mint.
For vitamin c they get oranges -but you have to be careful they don't get an acid burn from too many - so another great source of vitamin c for them is peppers - they love green and red peppers. Just make sure they are not hot peppers. That is the best way for them to get their vitamin c.
They both have houses to hide in.
Oh and just be sure that the pigs are all the same sex. From what I have read about piggies breeding them sounds really scary. I think there is an age that you should not breed a female after - and it's rather young. And it's dangerous to breed them after that age.
Piggies are so much fun!

#11 ·
before you get him a friend..bond with him well or else he will ignore you for the most part

#12 ·
I was planning on getting to know him better before I get him a freind. I would totally build a C&C cage right now but chloroplast is really hard to find where I live. Any other ideas for bottoms?

#13 ·
Sorry to double post but I just wanted to tell you all that I took pictures of my piggy...his name is Chester...not sure why i didn't post it the first time.

#16 ·
Welcome to the cavy world.

As others have said, feed it pellets, hay, carrots and water from a bottle if you havent already.

Mine eats oranges, canteloupe, bananas, peachs, mango, loves apples.

Vitamin C is needed but can get it from carrots and pellets. Give fruit as a treat a few times a week, Ive heard lettuce has no nutritional contents. Hold it a lot, give it about a week before they get comfortable w/ you. They purr, popcorn and make lots of noises.

Good luck

#18 ·
Also please don't feed only carrots. That's not nutritionally balanced, even though piggies love carrots. They're very full of sugar -- it's like feeding a child nothing but candy all day! For vegetable, stick to leafy greenery like green leaf, red leaf, and romaine lettuces, along with things like escarole, endive, cilantro, parsley, etc, with fruit as limited treats. :)

#19 ·
Yeah, I have been feeding him romaine lettuce, pellets, baby carrots (only a few), and orange slices for vitamin C. I need to get to the store and buy some more hay. My rabbits at it all.

#20 ·
This pictures are in my album. Does anyone know what breed he is?

#21 ·
He looks like either a poorly marked white crested or a mixed white crested.

#22 ·
Well I seem to be stuck. Ugh I really want to get a freind for Chester but my mom says if I get another animal she will "evict" me. Ugh. I am gunna try and explain they need a freind.

#23 ·
Well after I argued with her for a little and showed her info she finally agreed. I'm glad too. I could tell Chester is very lonely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.