Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

rat toys

957 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  laydeerodentzz 
#1 ·
i just moved my guys into a bigger and better cage. i'm looking for some toys to keep them busy. i haven't found much that they like. what have you all found that your rats like? these things aren't cheap and i don't want to keep wasting money on toys they won't play with. thanks in advance for all your info.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sometimes things you have around the house work much better then store bought toys! Try cardboard boxes or tissue boxes.You could find things in dollar stores too that work well.Do you have males or females? You could try a wheel,but alot of rats (especially males) won't use them.Also pick up some ropes,ladders,tunnels,hammocks...things like that! :)

#3 · (Edited)
they loove tissue boxes, paper towel rolls, and pvc tunels. they have a wheel that they'll run on for about 5 seconds at a time. we've tried little rat chew sticks to keep their teeth filed down but they don't use them. i would like to find something small they can handle. i love watching them manipulate things with their little hands

#4 ·
Something you could try...get a toilet paper tube and fill it with something yummy and then enclose the ends of it.The rats will have to work to get at the yummies.Some of my rats also like those cat jingle balls you can get.

#5 ·
My rats love Slimfast boxes, and a wicker nesting ball. They also love paper towels for their nest. I keep half a cinder block in their cage to wear down their nails. I go to cloth stores, JoAnne's, Wal-Mart, Hancock Fabrics, and buy their scrap cloth. It's usually super cheap and it makes good hamocks and fabulous nesting material.

I'll have to try that toilet paper thing with my rats.

#6 ·
I think i agree with everyone else, but if they are males they really wont do that much, even with toys. thats what it was like when i had my fair share of mice (around 23) hehe :) but what you could try doing is running ropes from end to end and they like to climb and play on those too. the possibilities are endless with rat toys :)

#7 ·
although it's really bad for you, i'm a smoker and my rats love the cardboard cigarette packets, or at least destroying them! maybe you could bug smokers to keep their packets and take off all the shiny bits. anything that wont hurt them and you dont mind being destroyed, let them destroy it!

something my rats love as well: get a big cardboard box and fill it with really small boxes, bits of fabric, anything, but mostly boxes and they'll climb around in there for hours!

#8 ·
Awsome new cages :)
Yeah, Like Lisa said, I was going to say that they would probably prefer the box the toy comes in than the actual toy lol
I find bits and bobs around the house that I don't need and if I know it's harmless to the boys, I'll let them have it.
Or even just give them nesting materials to make beds with because either way it will keep them occupied :)
The following link has loads of toy ideas that you can make easily and cheaply at home, I know lots of people here Love the website and go on it themselfs, some of the other stuff is worth looking at to;
http://www.dapper.com.au/toys.htm
I hope this helps :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.