Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Drop Boxes?

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  RenishaS 
#1 ·
The local animal shelter recently raised prices unreasonably high for this area. As an animal lover and a supporter or rescue agencies, it seems ridiculious to raise prices to an extent which is equal to what it would cost to buy from a breeder! Also, drop boxes are insane. Can people just drop off there pet? is there no video cameras to see who the original owner was? Every night I fight the urge to go to the drop box and take a puppy home or to find one of the animals a nice home they deserve. I would gladly take those animals, worm them, and if I knew how, give them the shots and find them the proper owner. Plus, it is so easy to take animals to something like Walmart, Petsmart, the flea market and find them a home I'd like to say "just give them to me because someone out there wants them"

#2 ·
:mad2: Drop boxes??? It makes it sound like they are returning a rented dvd!
That is just awful! Im glad I dont live anywhere like that, as for raising the prices they need funds to keep open, and animal abusers wouldnt pay loads of money so they know they can trust the people that take the animals home

#3 ·
That may be true but it is already a "chance" by getting a dog from a shelter. Two years ago I brought home a shepard puppy mix. She recently died of inherited mange. At birth she looked normal and until she turned a year old she did not show any signs. Her vet checks were always good and she was never unhealthy, as far as we knew. Then, all of a sudden her hair started falling out! I knew it was mange but I thought it would be curable. We took her to the vet only to find that it was inherited mange and that even after treatment it may come back again. We treated her and she was fine for about two months and then it was back again. Shortly after that she ran away and never came back, which is not like her at all. She always stays close and never goes anywhere except to the neighbors, who let her inside when we are not home. So, to me it is so hard to get these animals adopted if they are charging a high price because dogs, particularly in this area, can be found in the newspapers for free and for 25-50 dollars for a mixed dog that the mother is most likely on premisis so at least you have an "idea" of what the pup may end up looking like. Drop boxes apparently are being petitioned to be closed but I can say that people in my county make "GREAT" use of them and I doubt they will ever be shut down here.

#4 ·
That is really sad, animals left in a drop box by people who are clearly guilty by not having the courage to go in and say 'I dont want my dog anymore'. Im sorry about your dog, and I understand what you are saying, and I know that can happen but what I meant was, if they dont get the medical records, they dont get them and all they can do is get it a good home and hope for the best. If they dont have the money to keep the shelters open then there will be healthy animals being shot, left on the streets and starved to death, many animals will not even get a second chance loving home like you gave your dog.

#5 ·
Although I hate drop boxes mainly because it just shows how cowardly people can be and that they KNOW they're doing something wrong by bringing their animal to the shelter half the time, I kinda have to see the good side of them too. I'd much rather see someone use a drop box than to continue to mistreat their animal until they die from unnecessary circumstances :\

#7 ·
I agree with Pideaux. While a drop box really is a cowardly way to get rid of an animal I think they're mainly there to act as safe havens. Much like unwanted baby safe havens. A person can drop an animal off with no fear of retribution or prosecution in an attempt to give them a proper home and a second chance. I'd rather see a puppy in a drop box than in a plastic bag at the dump.

Reactions: Mygala
#8 · (Edited)
/rant on.

Why in the WORLD would you have a problem with drop boxes?!?!

Drop boxes work.

They give animals a chance that might otherwise be discarded along a highway or put in a bag and thrown in a river. It's not about "catching" the ex-owner, ...it's about giving the animal a chance.

...and in case you haven't been watching, there is a worldwide recession on. Animal shelters have been dealt double "body blows" by the increased number of people having to give up their pets, and the fact that donations of food and money are way down (I mean SERIOUSLY down!). Something has to give. They either raise prices or go out of business. What TRUE animal lover wants that? Besides, ...it shouldn't be a financial decision to buy an pet. It should be the RIGHT decision. Shelters aren't the Wal-mart of animal purchases. A shelter purchase usually includes shots and a spay/neuter. That's a surgical procedure that costs money to perform and provide. Most pet stores don't.

If you think their prices are so out of line, I DARE YOU to do something about it. Get out there on weekends and VOLUNTEER, or donate money yourself. You might find that the truth that is hard to ignore. You might also find it a little more satisfying (and a LOT more effective) than coming onto the internet and whining about it.

/rant off.

Bob
(an ex volunteer myself)

#9 · (Edited)
I can see how they would work,I just never heard of it,I don't know if there's any in Newfoundland? I've heard of safe havens for baby's before...that I think is a good idea,too many people simply "throw them out".
Same with pets.
I wouldn't for the life of me "take an animal to wal-mart"...I was quite thrilled when walmart stopped selling neglected fish out my way!
Every living thing should be given a chance.
& Personally,i'd get from a shelter (or rescue) before a breeder any day.Cost means nothing to me.I'll be paying X amounts of dollars a month on food,etc,& vet visits etc,so initial costs are going to be more in the long run anyway.& That's quite ok with me.
Breeder costs,shelter costs,it doesn't matter.What matters is it's an animal,it needs a loving home.

Pets do cost money,& I have a ton of pets,so I definitely know the cost.
I also like how shelters out my way have a "rule" that pets must be spayed or neutered...I love that.

The idea of drop boxes is new to me,my guess is it's "not a new thing,but if it saves a life,I'm for it.

x Support your local shelters! x

#10 ·
oh, here's a good one! There are local shelters here. Not long ago, I had a stray dog that I couldn't find his owner. The local shelter wanted $45 for them to take him in! That, of course, was only during daylight hours. The drop box is available after hours, and it would not have cost anything for me to take him there then.
But, all's well that ends well. I kept the dog a little longer and found a home for him.

People abandoning dogs at Walmart? Once I found this beautiful Australian Shepherd there, he jumped right into my car when I opened the door and said hi. I kept him quite a while, until finding him a new home.

#11 ·
I agree that drop boxes might not be the best idea around - but at the same time, the biggest shelter here asks you to pay even to bring in a stray animal. I can see why, otherwise everyone would try to claim that they just 'found' the animal. But at the same time, if I find a stray and take it in, why should I have to pay for it? I wasn't the one who abandoned the stray. I feel like they'd be punishing ME when I'm in no way responsible for the animal in the first place. All that's going to do is make people ignore stray animals or call in animal control.

So, while a drop box might seem like a cowardly choice, it's better than trying to force bystanders to pay to bring in stray animals.

#12 ·
I would pay to bring in a stray. They have to have it examined by a vet, get it fixed, provide food and shelter until someone can adopt it, and if the animal is too sick or too feral or there simply isn't a chance it will find a home they have the cost of euthanasia and disposal. The cost to drop off an animal isn't unreasonable They're simply trying to find a way to be able to afford to run a shelter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.