Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Found a tumor

Tags
rat tumor vet
4K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Scris129 
#1 ·
So I had Fredi out today and I noticed a huge tumor under her left arm. I have no idea how I didn't notice it before. It's about the size of a grape. the only thing I can think is that she sits weird so it usually hides. Rest assured I'm calling her vet first thing in the morning. I'm pretty sure the growth is benign, she's hasn't lost any weight, she's hasn't lost interest in activities, she's not sleeping more then normal. I'm hoping she can live with it because I'm afraid for her to have surgery.

#2 ·
This is supposed to be in the mouse/rat section. Can someone move it?

#3 ·
Why are you afraid of surgery? Do you have a decent rat vet?

Armpit tumors are the easy ones, its the inguinal ones that can get ugly.

How old is your rat and how's her health?

I just discovered a small mammary tumor on my 9-10 month old girl. I am going to call my vet soon to have it removed and then Pocky can be spayed at the same time.

#4 ·
I would say, without a doubt, please don't wait to have ti removed if you have a good vet. I tried to wait on my rat's last tumors and they became a nightmare to have removed because of the size. The earlier you can get them at the smallest size possible, the better off and quicker healing it will be!

#5 ·
My exotic vet is awesome, he took great care of Tippy when she got a URI. I'm just concerned about her age I know it's always dangerous when anyone get surgery much less a two year old rat. I will most likely get it removed I'm just worried about her.

On top of Fredi's tumor, I think my Lab has an ear infection, so it's two vet visits for me this week.

#6 ·
I know that feeling. :( My Cecilie is around 2 to 2.5 and she's already had 6 lumps removed and now another one has shown up and it's in an inoperable spot.

#7 ·
Poor girl. I hope it's not causing a problem for her.

#8 ·
taking her to the vet today. i'll let you know how it goes.

#9 ·
I have my fingers crossed for you!

#10 ·
She's having surgery today and my husband will have to pick her up when he gets off work tomorrow. He says that she appears really healthy but a little thin (She was the runt, she's always been thin) So as long as the tumor doesn't return she should have a good quality of life.

#11 ·
Fredi came home last night. (I couldn't go get her because I was working all day and then had a bachelorette party so my grandmother brought her home.) My poor baby has huge stitches all along her left side.

She's is very alert and active. She's drinking and eating just fine and she's in the quarantine cage so that her sister can't rip out her stitches. She'll go in to have the stitches removed in 10 days.

I'm relieved she's doing ok. I was a mess at work yesterday because i was worried about her.

#12 ·
Congratulations! I'm so glad your little girl is ok. Make sure to keep up with her pain meds and antibiotics so she doesn't hurt herself if she feels bad and there's less chance for infection. :)

You're a great mom and did the right thing!

#15 ·
I managed to get some pictures of her.

There are better pictures in the album. The incision goes all the way from her underarm to where her knee is.

The big red spot is where her tumor was.

Tippy climbed up to see her sister. They've only ever been apart when on is sick.

'I miss you' rattie kisses. I feel bad for keeping them separated but Tippy would chew up Fredi's stitches.

#17 ·
Maybe I'll try it. the Vet said to keep the separate for a couple of days so when I clean the large cage maybe I'll put them together and see how they do.

#18 ·
So a few days ago I put Fredi and Tippy in the small cage together and they've been great. Tippy didn't even acknowledge that Fredi had stitches.

I'm on my way back to the vet now for her to vet the stitches removed.

#21 ·
Funny thing.

I took her to the vet and he was so surprised she still had all her stitches. Apparently she's the first rat he's ever treated that hasn't chewed off most or all their stitches by the follow up. He was even more surprised to find out she was in with her sister for 5 days and still had them. I have well behaved babies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.