Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Need help deciding on wheel

Tags
wheel
1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  GAMZu 
#1 ·
I bought a Petco wheel, but it has spokes which hurt the hamster who is trying to get on while the other one is running.
(If you want to see it, go to the Petco website and enter 1095676 in the search bar. i can't post links yet.)
So I need advice. So I buy another mesh wheel with spokes so each hammy has his own, and therefore will not need to enter a moving wheel and risk getting hurt?
Or do I just buy two wheels that have one side open and one side solid?
I was looking at the large Comfort Wheel, 8 1/2 inches. I thought about getting two of those. Maybe I can get one if it's wide enough. Does anyone have it and can measure the width of it for me?

Or should I just get one of the Comfort Wheels and the hamsters will learn to take turns?
They just look so pitiful trying to run at the same time.
Thanks.

#5 ·
The comfort wheels are great, the only downside is that they are very loud, so if you have the cage in your room, you might want to get the silent spinner.

#7 ·
Thanks everyone.
Maybe I didn't phrase my question well- let me try again.

*What I have now is a wheel with spokes. This option isn't good, as the hamster can get hurt when entering a moving wheel.*

My options are:
a> buy another wheel (the same type) so they won't be tempted to enter an already moving wheel because they will each have their own
b> buy 2 plastic wheels with one solid wall and one open side
c> buy only one plastic wheel and have them take turns. If it's wide enough, maybe they can both run in it together.

I tried to look up Speed Wheel,but none of the results were hamster related. LOL

#10 ·
I like the Wodent Wheel the best. You really can't prevent them from running on the same wheel--they are stubborn!!! So if you're looking for an open wheel, I'd go with Comfort wheel, or Silent Spinner. I have seen the saucer-like ones, but I don't know anything about them! I've heard they are good for dwarves, who like to run together!!

#12 ·
i like the mesh ones better :) to keep my degus from getting hit by the side i hooked the wheels up to the side :D and if they have any problems ill wrap duct tape on the outside and cover the sticky side with bedding so their feet and tails dont get stuck. The solid wheels i've had problems with because the ones around here slant inward and have to be cleaned alot more since they like to go to the bathroom in it and i dont want them running in that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.