Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Rabbit food consumption

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  mtmaughan 
#1 ·
So one thing Ive noticed about my new rabbit is that he doesnt eat as much as Henry did. He has lots of energy and stuff, but his litter box doesnt fill up that much and the only thing he eats a lot of is salads. Anyone know what this could be?Ive tried different types of hays and stuff but he just seems not that interested. He still eats, just not tons like henry would. Any thoughts? Should I take him to the vet? He seems perfectly healthy otherwise, great coat, tons of energy too.

#2 ·
Forgive me for not remembering, but where did he come from? It may be worth doing a tooth exam, we usually see them eating a ton of salad and having trouble with pellets and hay when they're having tooth problems. :)

#3 ·
When I rescued two of my rats they didn't eat much for the first month or so that I had them. Now they eat a lot more. You've only had him for a couple of weeks. Sometimes I think it takes animals a while to settle in.

Definitely take Jennicat's advice and make sure his teeth are good and maybe speak to your vet about it too.

#4 ·
mk, I'm going to take him back to the vets- I got him from the spca so I'm not too sure what his previous owners fed him. I'll call the vets soon and book an appointment. He loves kibbles (well, pellets but i call them kibble) and raisins. Im worried now. I cant wait to get him into the vet.

#5 ·
If he's eating pellets and veggies he sounds more like a typical spoiled pet store bunny that's never had hay. He may not realize he's supposed to eat it, as dumb as that sounds.

#7 ·
Theodore is a lionhead and Henry was a netherland dwarf. Henry was probably about twice his size and ate more than Theodore! I agree with jennicat-im also kind of thinking that perhaps since he wasn't given hay (im assuming) it might be the cause of his dental problems.

#8 ·
Try taking away his pellets and veggies for a little while, and only giving him hay too eat... Chances are that he will get hungry enough to nibble at it, and find out that its really yummy! Thats how I got Smudge to eat hay. Before I knew that bunnies needed hay everyday, I just fed him pellets and he would never even go near the hay unless if he had something else to eat, but when I didnt give him his pellets, he gobbled it up! :] I sure hope that theres nothing wrong with little Theodore!

#9 ·
woops, in my old post i meant theodore is twice henry's size. Ive tried doing that with the hay (taking everything else away) but I'm just going to keep giving him pellets and salad too until I get the OK from my vet. Eugh, I have such bad luck with vet bills, two days after I took him home he had to go to the vets and now we have to go back lol. What a guy!

#10 ·
You may also be able to wean him onto hay with some fresh grass if you have any that isn't sprayed, etc, in your yard. Cut big handfuls and mix it in with the hay, and they'll often excitedly start eating the whole pile. :)

#12 ·
If you're worried you can buy grass seeds and grow them inside. I do that for my rabbits. We live in the city and pretty much can't get grass from outside that I feel is safe for them. You can use regular grass seeds or buy something like wheat grass seeds. I found them online somewhere at a rabbit supply store. They only take a couple of days to grow usually.

#14 ·
Yeah we grow it out on our porch. It it rains too much I'll take it in for awhile so it doesn't get too soggy. It's been raining here everyday for like a month and a half now!

I got a shallow under bed storage container that I grow it in. When it grows long I just cut it and then put it out to grow back again. People probably think it's a little weird, but the bunnies love it and we have a ton of plants growing on our porch since we don't have a yard to plant stuff in. It's like our miniture lawn :D

#16 ·
Grass grows fairly well inside. We used to grow grass seeds and the tops of carrots for our mice when we were younger and Voila! All inside and usually in bad containers. I remember the carrot tops would sprout greens in just a butter container cover with a small layer of water.

#17 ·
hagahahha- do the bunnies have a miniature lawn mower? :p I have one of those small storage containers so I guess I'll use that. How deep was it? I grow oregano, basil, sage and dill for theodore so I hope I have some luck with the grass. He has been eating more lately so I think he's settling in!

#18 ·
Awww, now I want a little garden for Smudge! But, unfortunatly, Im a notorious plant murderer. I just buy all my veggies from the grociery store :rolleyes:

#19 ·
Dont worry Jess, plants are just about the only think I manage to kill too.! :) But although my mint perished under my loving hand and all my other plants-it seems grass will grow in just about anything. And even if it only lasts a few weeks and then dies its one of the cheapest things to grow and cut yourself!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.