Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

I need advice!

994 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Brighteyed 
#1 ·
Ok well im starting my animal course at college in sept, 6 days a week and work experiance at the zoo once a week. I have got 3 rats as you all know, one lone male and two other boys. The other boys stay at my bf's house as my dad didnt like them here, but novo is with my in my room as he needs my company. But i have been really busy these last few months with stress, through family problems and college. I have not been able to let my other 2 boys out everyday as i have been thrown into all this stress and work! They have a big cage and get food everyday, but i will admitt i cannot let them out all the time. I keep trying to tell myself that they have a cage thats for 8 rats that they are "alright" but i know deep down every rattie needs out time. Ive been getting really depressed about this situation im in with my ratties and have been getting real upset, so i had a talk with my mum she thinks as i am starting college again i should find them homes with someone who can let them out. And this girl emailed me saying shes owned rats for 5 years and wants to start owning them again. But i simply cannot just give my boys away without thinking this throughly i need advice on weither or not you think i should give them away. And another problem is that the rat room they are in, my bf has moved alot of old stuff in there and its even HARDER for me to try to let them out. Im in such a rut at the minute its INSANE!
Help please!
Love u all!

See less See more
#2 ·
wow tough spot. when i started college i owned 2 rescue parots, and as you know parots require alot of one on one time. they were used to sitting on there swings next to me while i did home work (i was homes schooled) and talked to them. i mean they were with me practically all day. i <3 those guys. when i was home from college i had them out the whole timei was there. but still it didnt seem like enough. especially since both of them were ex feather pluckers and had seporation issues. in the end i was able to find good homes for them with people that were home all the time and had other birds. it was such a hard choice to make. but im glad i did it. i still visit my parots. and they are happy in there new homes.

just dont give them to a shelter the life they have with you is much better than one at a shelter, but if you can find a good home for them that could be an option. ask the person who wants them if you can come visit her home maybe bring the rats in a travel case to visit it with you. see if they like it?

#4 ·
You seem to stress over your rats a lot hun. I think in this case, I would check carefully into that possible new owner, and if they are a good home, let them go :) Being owned by rats should not be an exercise in guilt. You still have your beloved Novo, and then once you are out of school or more settled you can find more rats. There are definitely a TON of wonderful needy rats out there when you are able.

#7 ·
Ok, im waiting on the girl coming to collect and meet them soon, in around an hrs time. Im freaking out :( i feel so bad. But i gotta hold it together and do the right thing by my boys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.