Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Ramens had her secound litter~

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  bokuza 
#1 ·
As some of you know when Ramen had her first litter I had a tough time getting Daddy Herz out of the cage without destroying the nest!
Well as expected, those 2-3 days together resulted in Ramens second pregnancy. Haha.

I kept two of out five of Ramens last litter.
The other three boys went together into a household of a big family.
Funny thing is, all were identical personality and looks.

The first I kept has little agouti faults or markings and clearly retained his fathers calmness.
He also matured 1 - 2 days faster than the rest of the litter.

The second retained Ramens smaller stature but strikingly dark rich black.

Im trying to understand this more, I plan on mating her with a lighter colored male (argente or something along those lines) to see if 1 out of 5/6 of her pups will again retain her darker genes and small stature.

We will also see when this litter grows up more if this is true.
Birth date is maybe July 21. Born early morning Im guessing.
Ramen has an obsessive compulsive desire to run on her wheel for about 2 hours straight then break to give birth.
Then back on the wheel...then again more pups. REPEAT. I always know when shes ready.

Anyway, more fuzzy photos for you, Ramen may be tolerant but ill be cursed if i touch 3 days old pup.
And again like before...shes a great nest builder...to my dismay.

See less See more
#2 ·
Aww so cute! Congrats on the (accidental?) births!

That happened with one of my rats last year. I was out of town and my husband was in charge of the rats. He left my girl, Julia, in a cage with Clyde. She had babies and he didn't even know. I come home and see the babies are almost a week old, so I remove her from the cage immediately. Her babies grew up and all of a sudden she gives birth to another litter! I was so confused, because it was like 10 extra days of pregnancy since she had been removed from Clyde. So I started looking online about it, and rats can put their pregnancies on "hold" if they already have a litter they are caring for.

Anyways, congrats! Can't wait to see these ones grow up!

#3 · (Edited)
Lol well actually I wanted to wait a month before she had her second litter, but I suppose after this one shell be retired. :)
She deserved a big poofy cage for being a super Mum.

Today I bought her and her kids a two story playhouse.
It fit perfectly over the nest with room to spare. YEY!

Ramen held her litter until I removed her older litter them from her cage. (about 2 days over)

I also got Alexander and Roan on the camera (from ramens 1rst)
Alexander is small and dark while Roan is big and fuffy.

Alex

Roan

#7 ·
LOL so I took the house away. One of her wiggles found their way away for the nest to the top...dangerous. I think the stress from having back to back litters has kind of gotten to Ramen, i noticed the babes skins are a little dry. There six in this one too. They are lively and fine, a little dry, which could be from hair growing in.

From Ramens first, Alexander and Roan. CAPTION PLZ? XD

From Ramens first, Alenxander and Roan, CAPTION PLZ? XD

#9 ·
Well, I do have some bad news. Some very bad news.

This back to back second litter has taken a toll on both sides, Ramen has a new found hyper-activity about her and even though there were six pups (4 girls 2 boys) there are only two alive now.
From the bodies, I can say she had a difficult time nursing all of them.

The two that are alive (1 boy 1 girl) and Ramen is doing a wonderful job with them.

Six was too much for my little girl. I feel so bad about this...

So for names for the two twins?
I kinda like Hanzel and Gretel...

#10 ·
AHHH! CUTE ALERT!! Lol they are adorable =)) I love that playhouse too, I am totally getting that for my girls, where'd you find it???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.