Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

After neutering

2K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Jess 
#1 ·
Now I'm getting nervous about bunny's upcoming neutering :(
Saturday he visits the vet to see if he is ready to be neutered.
He's 3 months and a couple of weeks. Vet said that if he was ready that the earlier the better - it wouldn't be as hard on him.

So some questions please :)
I'm thinking ahead - what did you use as a litter box while your bunny was recovering? I don't want him to have to hop up for a bit.
How many days was he miserable? :confused:

Thanks!!

#2 ·
Good luck with your bunnys neuter! Im sure he'll be just fine!
Smudge just used his normal litter box. A 4 inch jump should be managable for your bunner after hes fixed.
After the day he was fixed, Smudge wasnt miserable at all- He wanted to come out and play! When I took him out of his cage to give him his meds, all he wanted to do was hop of my bed and run. (I didnt let him of course!)
As long as you get pain meds and antibiotics, your bun will be back to normal in no time. Neutering is pretty non-invasive, so he will recover quickly.

#5 ·
Smudge was confined to his cage for a week. Your vet will probably give you a post-op care sheet with all the confinement instructions.
Oh, and make sure to take any shelves and huts out of his cage, or anything he could jump on- You dont want him to over exert himslef!
I took out Smudges toys too, except for his stuffed elephant.
Good luck! Do you know when you are getting it done?

#6 ·
2babygirls - I'm so glad your bunny did so well :)

Jess, I'll find out if he is ready to be done tomorrow morning. This will be his first time to a vet - he won't be happy!
But at least he will come right back home because no surgeries are done on Sat.
Thanks !!!!!

#11 ·
Smudge had dissolvabe stitches or glue... I dont remember wich, but it was on the inside so he couldnt pick at it.
Youll be suprised at how fast the surgery goes- Smudge took less than 1/2 hour! So you dont have much time to worry, LOL :p

#12 ·
That's the truth Jess - worry will be my middle name
on Wed.:rolleyes:

The receptionist said to drop him off between 8-9am. But
my concern is when they will start preparing him. I don't want him to sit for hours-scared. I'll have to impress on them when I take him to not leave him waiting for a long time :(

#14 ·
Most rabbits aren't freaked out by being at the vet as they wait for surgery. We typically put ours in a carrier with hay, pellets, and water, and they sit and munch until it's their turn.

#16 ·
Thanks bokuza - I called and they said to bring him in at 8:30am and they would get to him quickly. I thought I'm not letting him go until that are ready.
When I took him a few days back to get checked he was so very scared. He pressed his little nose into the corner of the cage trying to hide.

I'm try not to worry ratty_ratkins :(

#17 ·
Aww, hes gonna be ok! Try not the worry :hugg2:
Smudge was acually more scared for his exam and spur trim than his neuter... I didnt get scars from that one at least.

#18 ·
Well, today was a day! I was told to bring him at 8:30am and his neutering would be soon. Wrong!! I didn't hear anything and it was 12:30pm. I had the lady I spoke to check and she told me he hadn't been done yet. I lost it and told her I would be down shortly. By the time I got there it was almost over.
Which I don't understand because the lady first told me he was at lunch.
I finally brought him home at 3:00.
Jude didn't eat for a total of about 7 hours. He has just ate alittle apple but hasn't touched his feed and water. I'll see how he does this evening.
I was told he was given a shot of antibodics and pain med. So I give him more pain medicine tomorrow.
I can tell by picking his up he is swollen. Vet said to let him out if he wanted to that it would help the swelling - I'm not so sure.
I don't think this vet knows enough about rabbits to meet their needs. Hopefully, he hasn't killed him.

I hope everyone's day was better than mine.

#19 ·
Eeek, sorry your day didnt go too well!
I wouldnt let him out of his cage. If he is swollen, give him a warm compress.
You might want to consider getting a different vet too... that guy doesnt sound too good :/

#20 ·
Thanks Jess, I am physically and emotionally drained! :(

I agree - I don't think he needs to be exerting himself.
I'm afraid to do a compress - I might hurt him.

He ate some lettuce and begged for a tiny bit of plum. So I gave it to him. Hopefully later he will drink and eat his pellets.

I haven't looked at this incision - no telling what it looks like.
Jess, was Smudges incision long? About how long - 1/2 inch or more?

#21 ·
Well, its good that he is eating a little. Smudge ate his veggies first too.
For a compress, try this- Fill a sock with dry rice or corn, tie a knot in the end, and warm it up in the microwave. Put it in his cage, and he can lie across it if he wants too, and you dont have to worry about hurting him.
Where is his incision? On his tummy, or on each sac where his "man parts" were removed? Smudges incisions where on the sac, and you couldnt even see them, although it was a tiny bit swollen the first day. If the incision was on his tummy, that is alot more tramatic because they had to go through there to remove his "man parts"... Most experienced vets wont do it that way.

#24 ·
Thats great hes doing better!
Im glad you updated... I was getting kinda worried!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.