Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Getting 2 male gerbils (yay), any advice?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  AnimalMad 
#1 ·
I went and picked out a cage today and we will hopefully get the gerbils on friday :D My brother wanted a pet because I have my ham ham but my dad said that he was too young to take care of one by himself...
They argued for a little while and they settled on the agreement that if I got a gerbil, he could have one too. So today I went out and bought a gerbilarium, it isnt glass, it is very thick, tough plastic. We have a large bag of aspen that we use for my hamster and we are going to buy barley straw for bedding. We have a small plastic tub for a dust bath and a bag of charlie chinchilla bath sand. So we know to feed them twice a day, we are going to use gerri gerbil food.
Is there anything else we need other than lots of chew toys? Anything we need to know?
Oh, and I know you all are great at this so, I NEED A NAME! :D My bro is calling his biscuit :p

#2 ·
Winston, Theodore (Theo for short), Smudge, Remy, Bubba, Squirt, Scooter, Hudson, Kaiser, Vegas, Winky, Kaiden, Odin, Tonka, Gizmo, Indy, Goliath, Huey, Dewey, Louie, Keegan, Chaos, Ollie, Munchkin, Pogo, Baxter, Riley, Rufus, Henry, Samson, Ralph

Sorry I don't know much about gerbils :p

#4 ·
I have 2 boys :p

Hmm, well, I guess the best advice would to not be alarm when they wrestle. Sometimes it'll look real, (trust me, I know! I got scared the first time it happened) but they're just playing c: Real fights would include loud squealing, and blood.

What else, what else... hmm.
DON'T pick them up by their tail. Their tails can break, and come off, like a lizard, if their tail is in danger, *pop* it's off. But it doesn't grow back, freaky, eh? Hmm.. I think that's it :p Good to know you're getting 2 :p!

#8 ·
I have 2 boys :p

Hmm, well, I guess the best advice would to not be alarm when they wrestle. Sometimes it'll look real, (trust me, I know! I got scared the first time it happened) but they're just playing c: Real fights would include loud squealing, and blood.

What else, what else... hmm.
DON'T pick them up by their tail. Their tails can break, and come off, like a lizard, if their tail is in danger, *pop* it's off. But it doesn't grow back, freaky, eh? Hmm.. I think that's it :p Good to know you're getting 2 :p!
my mum says it is the correct way to pick up a gerbil by the tail??? but i told her it would fall off ,so now i have evidence lol.

ermm advice....... well both of my gerbils are boys and i thought they where gay (hehe) but really its just to say that gerbil is the dominant one and its not mating :D

#12 ·
Usually I scoop mine up, since they're desert animals, danger is above, so I pick them up from the bottom so they don't think they're in danger, if they don't let me, I take a hamster ball and put food in it and let them walk in, then take them out. I have never picked mine up by the tail, and I too am against it. :thumbsup:

#14 ·
yeah i have to pick cornflake by the base of the tail or i use a cloth or something like that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.