Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

huffing. new hedgie.

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  canadiancritter 
#1 ·
my boyfriend got me a hedgie last week. she is almost 7 weeks old. salt and pepper african pygmy. her name is pebbles and i'm absolutely in love with her. she seems pretty comfy with me. curled up in my lap as i'm typing right now. she huffs when i'm first about to take her out of her cage and sometimes when you stroke her quills she'll hiss and jump. she doesn't ball up, though. is this normal hedgie behavior or will she stop huffing once she's fully comfortable with me? any tips on getting her more comfortable? maybe more attention? i don't like to wake her up if she's sleeping, but should i be to hold her more during the day?

#3 ·
That's perfectly normal, i just got my Hedgehog 2 days ago, and he already likes me!

When you wake them up at first they will be grumpy and upset.
I suggest you just keep holding her and touching her quils, but not to the point were she gets annoyed. I did that with my Hedgehog and he stopped, and ive only had him for 2 days. Keep playing with her, Wake her up at around 7 pm and do it everyday as a routine and she will figure out that its playtime at that time. Be sure you have a wheel so she can run on, ever since i got one for mine, hes been a lot happier.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.