Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Ressesive Genes

Tags
breeding
2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  TweedleDeedle3 
#1 ·
:confused:
A Rattery owner/Friend would like to buy/trade one of my male dumbo polydactyl rats to add to part of her breeding program, she lives in NYC (6 hours frome me) But I'm a little concerned about letting her have one of my guys, because she breeds Manx or Tailless rats.
I don't want to be rude to her, but frankly I think that the overall health of any litters would be severly compromised.
My rats are all Polydactyl, or carriers of this trait, which is for the most part a male dominated trait, breeding polydactyl females with a non-poly male results in no poly babies, and the pup have other health related problems that we don't even want to get into, but she's wanting to start a line of Hairless Dumbo Manx Rats, I've read that you should not breed tailless females, unsure of the why's but my question is..How do I let her know what my concers are without offending her? I really do not want the litter(s) or resulting pups to be of poor quality, and health. I can't (and don't want to) imagine the genetic deformities from so many recessive genes!

In my litters my average is about 15 pups per litter, with a very low female to male pup ratio with my Polydactyl Line, on average I'll have about 3 haired pups per litter, most being female, and either 1 or No female hairless polydactyl.
For instance in my last litter 1 female hairless polydactyl, 2 haired standard foot, 1 haired male 6 male dumbo hairless polydactyl (3 black self, 3 PEW)

See less See more
#2 ·
To be very blunt, I think that breeding tailless rats is one of the most irresponsible things that a breeder can currently do, other than outright BYBing.

Even AFRMA cautions against it: www.afrma.org/taillesstrbl.htm

Females shouldn't be bred because they often have skeletal deformities associated with being tailless and are unable to give birth and care for their pups. :(

#3 · (Edited)
Just my two cents here, as I am not qualified to give you any kind of breeding advice, but...

I have yet to read anything positive anywhere about breeding manx rats. From everything you've stated in this post alone, if you were to trade her one of your rats, you seem like you'd be kicking yourself from the moment you handed them over to her.

Politely telling her you don't feel comfortable with trading knowing what you know, and why, isn't rude. It's responsible. She has to have thought about ramifications like this and had others tell her it's not a good idea. You telling her no is just one more little nudge in her head in the right direction. And if by some wild remote chance she is doing it out of ignorance, then you'll be doing her a great favor by making her aware.

Wish her the best of luck, but decline her request so you can sleep at night over it if nothing else. :)

Because of course, sleep is god, and we must all worship. :D

Slight brain segue: Breeding manx rats is a lot like zoos deliberately breeding white tigers, even though a huge percentage of cubs born have catastrophic deformities. It's all about the unusual being attractive, not about the good of the animals. And in the zoos' cases, bringing in otherwise flagging revenue.

#4 ·
I agree to just politely tell her that you are concerned about the ethics of breeding manx rats and don't want to contribute. There's no need to argue about it. If she asks why then give your reasons, but not in an accusatory way, and leave it at that. After that if she tries to convince you just tell her that you've made your decision.

#5 ·
Thank You, I think Storyseeker is right, and Jennicat and mt make very good points. I would feel responsible if something were to go wrong so to speak, and I really just would be beating myself up for letting him go because I know the purpose she's intending to use him for.

So Thanks (again) this has helped alot to make the decision I knew was the right one all along.

Happy Holidays!

#6 ·
granted it would be cool to have a tail less hairles extra toed rat but thats me then again there are problems with each that you mechened and to breed them all to get them to be that way is more less dangerouse waters there. I like ushuall critters they catch our eyes and we all have the habit of wanting something no one has or having somthing rare. But giving her the rats is basily bad idea. if something like that happend in a litter out of no were that is diffrent but I agree with every one I would tell her politly no that you dont feel right. If she wants one still tell her that it has to be fixed if she argues with you before she can have it to inshure its health not to breed. this way it ends all conversation if she still persist in wanting it.
Happy holidays
Diamond

#7 ·
I talked to my friend today, and told her NO on the male rat she wanted, and I explained to her why, and my thoughts on the matter. I think she understood where I was comming from, I even emailed my Mentor and let her know what was going on. My friend said she'd never had any issues with breeding manx rats, and that they've all made wonderful mothers, I'm glad, but still had to decline. She understood, and even thanked me for being upfront and honest with her. I'm relieved, I really didn't want tention between us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.