Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Wink's Picture Thread!!

Photos! 
3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Jess 
#1 ·
Instead of making a new thread every time I want to post new pics of Wink, I thought I would just make a massive thread of Wink pictures, so i can keep them all together and everyone can see his progress. :D

I brought him home on August 11th, 2009. He was about 5-6 inches long.
Here he is the morning after I got him:

Here he is on the 17th, hanging out on my thumb. This is still one of my all-time favortite pics of him!

September 22nd, and 9 inches long:

October 5th... The last picture I took of him where he was still small enough to be on my thumb!

November 29th... Im pretty sure he was 12 inches.

And the most recent pics, January 14th, at 15 inches and 6 months old!

See less See more
#2 ·
And just for fun, some of my favorite pictures of him. (Besides the thumb and the gaping pic)

Ill keep this thread updated with new pictures as he grows! :D

#6 ·
Thanks everyone!
Winks kinda small for his age, so Im guessing he will be about 18 inches full grown. Id be suprised if he got much over that. Most can get up to 2 feet long, and even bigger. So I will have myself a little pocket sized beardie! :D I saw some really cute full grown owns at the reptile store (they take in unwated reptiles) and they were not much bigger than Wink, but super cute and chubby with even bigger heads. I wanted them, LOL! <3
I have to give Wink his deworming meds today, so well see how that goes. The vet gave him te first dose, so I havent tried giving it to him yet.

#8 ·
Oh, its because he is originally from Petco, and because of his issues when he was a baby. Petco animals obviously have aweful breeding, and genetics play a big role in beardie size. Any beardie you get from a chain store will be alot smaller than a beardie you get from a reputable breeder.
They also wont grow when they are sick or stressed out, so Wink eye infection and not wanting to eat set him back too.

#12 ·
He wants to be a super star celebrity beardie one of these days, so as his slave, I must help him achieve his dreams.
... Otherwise he will hire Smudge to kill me in my sleep.
They dont put up with unproductive slaves very well. :hehe:
LOL!
And Im hoping his little story will help keep people from supporting Petco. So, I think he would approve! ;)

And thanks for the compliments! :D

#13 ·
:bump:

I re-did Winks viv so he would get closer to his UVB light! I made him a basking platform out of a flower pot and a slate tile LOL!

Hes 16 1/4 inches now, and 7 months old! If I hold him on my hand, with his nose at my finger tips, his tail reaches the crook of my arm! :D Hes getting to be pretty big! Im guessing he will end up being around 19-20 inches as an adult, so he will be a fairly average size.
He been having a real nasty time with intestinal parasites, but he is getting better now. The meds were really hard on him, so he was on a hungar strike for a few days... Thus the slow growth the past few weeks. He wont eat crickets anymore (Thank God!), so he eats super worms now. Still hates salad though!

#15 ·
Jess,

You've done awesome with him. Other Dragons dream of living the "Life of Wink".

My only suggestion would be that you save up for an infrared thermometer and get rid of the one with the wires. Animals have an amazing ability to get themselves tangled up in the things you'd least think possible. Consequently, I try to remove wires and such wherever possible.

...plus, the infra red thermometer looks cooler and is more fun to play with (two very important features IMO).

Bob

#16 ·
He looks great!
I think his story is a great way to tell people to stop supporting PetCo selling animals!

I love the last picture BTW, its adorable :)

#17 ·
Thanks everyone!! Wink really likes it... He is so cute, lounging around all pancaked out. But he still hasnt figured how to go up the ramp yet! Down isnt a problem, but I have to check on him alot to make sure he isnt stuck at the cool end of his viv. :rolleyes:

Crwoddyspets- Thanks! LOL, I think Wink is alot more photogetic than me though!

Bob- You mean like a temp gun, right? Id love one to use for all of my herps, but I dont have the $50 for it right now! I can probably get one this summer though.
I know most beardie owners use similar probe thermometers, and Ive never heard of one getting tangled up... But I will tape the cord to the back wall of his tank so he cant get into it, just in case. :D
I got it for less than $10 at Target, and even with the cords, it is safer than usung a dial thermometer, since those can be 20*F off.
Thanks for the compliments! Wink is one spoiled little lizard LOL!

#20 ·
LOL, thanks Lisa! I know you do! :p

Ill probably make him an awesome foam background or climbing thing eventually, but I dont have time to do it now. Maybe a summer project? :D

#22 ·
Thanks!! :D

Wink climbed up his ramp for the first time today, so I think he is getting the hang of it LOL! I was trying to catch him to put him on his basking spot, and he just ran up it on his own!

The bad news is that I think I will have to get him re-tested for parasites, and get him more meds though. I will wait a little longer to see if he improves anymore, because he has gotten better, but he still isnt "normal".

I think I will have time to make a light box this weekend, so be prepared for more pics!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.