Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

My cat hates dogs

6K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Kendalle 
#1 ·
Hi!

My cat hates dog, and I want a little dog.
Today my cat attacked a dog. The dog was happy and nice, and ignored the cat, and suddenly the cat attacked her :(

What shall I do to make my cat accept dogs?

#2 ·
You cannot make your cat accept dogs.
There are ways to get cats and dogs to live peacefully,but even then it doesn't always work out.

How much damage did your cat do to the dog?

My mom has a cat who was taken in as a stray.To this day she hates dogs and my sister still lives there with her dog.At first the cat would not leave the one room and would have a panic attack when Coco (dog) was around.Eventually she would cautiously venture out,but was always aware of her surroundings and if she seen Coco,she took off and hid again.

It took years,but finally they seem to accept eachother.As long as Coco does not provoke Mama then all is well.So it is possible.But don't expect your cat to automatically like the dog and he may never like dogs.

Introduce slowly.Remember this is the cat's home and territory and a dog is an intruder in the cat's eyes.Also if he is going to just attack the dog,maybe you should hold off on getting a dog for now.Is this the first dog he has met?

#3 ·
Not much damage actually. Luckily!
The dog wasn't even afraid of the cat after the attack.

If I could get my cat to only "live with the fact" that a dog's gonna live in the same apartment, I would be happy.

Do you think it would be easier to make the cat accept a puppy?

#4 ·
I'm not so sure. Puppies can be very hyper and playful, and would probably try to play with the cat. That might upset her even more than if you adopted an older dog that just ignores her.

How old is your cat? What's her personality like?

Kit got attacked by a cat a few weeks ago during one of our walks. His face was scratched up pretty bad, but luckily the cat missed his eyes. Poor pup was just standing there looking confused, I had to push the cat away from him.

#5 ·
Yeah, but puppies tends to be a little bit smaller and I would think they are also calmer than the dog that visited us yesterday.

I'm considering getting a Chihuahuamix puppy/poodle puppy or another small breed puppy.

I think my cat was scared because the dog panted a lot.
My cat's 1 year and 8 months old. She's a young cat.

I thought maybe if I could get her used to the puppy, she would accept the dog when it was bigger and older too. If you know what I mean?

Poor Kit :( Cats can be very mean. I tried to read about this situation on internett (google mostly), but it seems like it's the dog that's agressive in most of the cases.

#6 ·
I fostered a little of puppies not long ago and they would follow the cats around,tugging on their tails,fir,ears...etc,etc (much like a toddler).My cats are used to dogs though,so there were no problems.But just putting it out there,a puppy will want to play with the cat.

If you get a puppy though,he/she would grow up around the cat and therefore should learn not to be aggressive to the cat.Your cat is still young,so it could work.As long as there are hiding spots and rooms where your cat could get away from the puppy if he annoys the cat.

I do believe it is a possibility.People have adopted adult dogs from our rescue with cats and it usually works out.The cat won't accept the dog instantly though.Keep in mind it could take weeks,months or even years (as in the case with my mom's cat and sister's dog...and the cat still don't like the dog,but they live peacefully now) for the cat to even accept that the dog is living there.

However if your cat has a dominant,aggressive personality...I would pass on the idea.

#7 ·
I would keep them separated the first week, and I would have some things in the living room that would smell like the puppy so that my cat would get used to the puppys smell :)
And I would have some things that smells like my cat in the room the puppy would be, so that my puppy would get used to the cats smell :)

I think it's easier to make my cat accept a puppy. If the puppy is a small breed.

If I get a puppy, I would let it walk around in the apartment when my cats are outside, so that when the cats came back inside, the apartment would smell like the puppy, and they would get used to the smell.

Animals often use smells to recognize each other, so I thought that if my cats would get used to the "puppysmell", they would accept the puppy.
Don't u think so?

(sorry for my bad English :( )

#8 ·
what would be great is to make sure the puppy is tired and let the cat out when it is sleeping. your cat will be better able to sniff a puppy when it is asleep in its crate and knows it can get away. It also lets the cats natural curiosity get the better of it. your cat won't be able to resist sniffing around a pup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.