Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

I Got A Beardie!!!

3K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  Jess 
#1 ·
My dad just randomly came home with him! He is cutest thing ever, and has tons of chub! :D He just dived into his salad!
Hes 2 years old, 15-17 in. long (has pretty good sized nip) and 442 grams... Dyed from red sand, so I cant see his colors.:D

Will post more details/pics later... I have to babysit!

OMG IM SOOOOOO EXCITEDDDDD!!! :D

#8 ·
Thanks everyone!!! Im SO happy with him- he is perfect! My sister snuggled him to sleep while I was babysitting... He is so calm and relaxed, and he doesnt even have any stress marks yet! He has a HUGE appetite, and he attacked his squash last night, plus 12 supers so far. :D Its nice to see one eat for a change!!
Here are some crappy phone pics... He is actually yellow, and looks like he might have some lavender side bars under his dirty-ness:

And now for the story/details...
So last week, my mom took me to Leaping Lizards "Just to look", because they had some adults up for adoption (Preggo woman couldnt keep her 4). I saw this huge, squishy male, and I completely fell in love! But he was $125, and my mom said I couldnt get him. I was really sad, and he was all I could think about after that. I looked on CL and emailed some people, but all the beardies on CL look completely emaciated, and I just cant handle another sick one. I looked into Blue Toungue skinks, Leos, and some other lizards, but they just werent the same!
Then yesterday, my dad told my to come over the the laundry room because he has something to show me. I thought it was because I had to clean up something or something like that- I dont have a good relationship with my dad, and thats usually the only reason he talks to me. But I went over, and he was holding my pet carrier and a bag of supers, and a little beardie face peeked out at me throught the little window!! It was SO unexpetced, because my parents said they didnt want more beardies, and I didnt think he had even liked Wink in the first place! My mom didnt even know he got the beardie! :D

He is already pretty settled in. I used to have a little pic of a beardie taped to the side of the tank when I had Wink because he never noticed it, but when I came to give the new guy a salad, he had his nose pressed against the glass black bearding and staring it down! :lol: I had to take it off right away!
He attached his UV light too LOL. I had it down lower, since Wink would not climb things to get close enough to it, and he completely launched him self at it... Im suprised it didnt break! So that had to be fixed too LOL.
This morning I randomly woke up at 7:00, and he was already awake and glaring at me LOL... I guess he is used to having his lights on earlier! After he warmed up a little, he started stretching his beard and yawned... Exactly like Wink used to do!

Im giving him a bath and a nail trim today, and buying him a couple things too. My mom had gotten my a XL Exoterra cave for my birthday, but it is not XL enough for this guy... He cant even fit his head through the opening. :rolleyes: So Im getting him a bigger one, and I need larger drift wood too.

Sorry this is SO long LOL!!

As for names, I think I am down to 2:
1. Jasper
2. Ziggy
Not sure though... he might remain nameless for a few days. Any other suggestions?
And no, I dont think he will be needing a different cage- a 40 gal breeder is fine for an adult. He isnt very active anyway.

#12 ·
Thanks! I told you he was fat! Haha :D
I actually found a half-log hide that he should be able to fit him, and I got him a huge basking log that he really likes. I bathed him and cliped his nails, but he is still red so I will have to wait untill his next shed to see his real colors!
He didnt want his salad yet, but its just relocation stress. Ill throw in some supers to see if he is more interested.

Ugh, I HATE decided on names! Usually I think of something right away, but he is a little trickier. Ziggy is more of a cute name, and Jasper is a little more serious... I think I might be leaning towards Ziggy, because he isnt a very serious looking little guy LOL.

#16 ·
Thanks! Im, like, 99% sure on Ziggy... Thats what Im calling him for now! Better than "Beardie" at least :D
He is really entertaining so far, and he really likes the new massive basking log I got him! Im going to try not to handle him today (other than maybe another bath), but thats going to be really hard to do LOL!
I will upload some more pics later today... He was hanging out in the funniest position yesterday :p

#20 ·
Thanks everyone!
Sorry... I dont think I like Norbert as much LOL!

And Ziggy is semi-aquatic! :p I gave him another bath today, and he had an adsolute blast swimming... He was SO cute! You can tell that his previous mommy probably gave him soaks too- He already seems to know that baths = Swimming, drinking, and pooping LOL! Wink absolutely hated his baths and would do anything to get out, so its really neat to have one that enjoys his baths! He even "dived" and put his little head under! Too cute! :D
He doesnt get the concept of his cave though. He was sitting on top of it LOL! He has something against being "Burritoed" at night too, because he always crawls out of his blankie.
He did not eat today, so Im crossing my fingers for tommarrow!

#21 ·
:bump:
Im having issues deciding on a name still! He doesnt look quite as Ziggy-ish as he did yesterday... What does everyone thing of Marley? I just cant decide!
I also think Kobe, Kodi, and Louie are cute, and Im still considering Ziggy but no one else likes it any more. :/

#27 ·
Sorry, LOL... Im really not much of a Harry Potter fan! :p
I think I found the perfect name... Dudley!! :heart:
He is so cute and sweet looking, I think it suits him! Thats what Im calling him today, so hopefully it wont change by tomarrow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.