Paw Talk - Pet Forums - View Single Post - My first litter... I think I'm ready!
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 06:44 PM
ratprincess777
Adolescent Pup

gerbil pups are amazing and breeding is so rewarding. Are you keeping mommy and daddy in the same cage? If so, you do know she can get pregnant right after she has this litter right? back to back breeding is very harmful. I had my first breeding pair together all the time. Luckily for me my female wouldnt let my male mate with her until 1 month after her previous litter was weaned. But that doesnt mean all gerbils will do this. My advice is to take daddy out, yes he will help with the litter but she will ger pregnant right away again. You can keep some male pups from her litter to eventually put in with him so hes not alone if you dont have any more male gerbils. Then wait at least 1 months after the previous litter is weaned to try and get her pregnant again. Also do you have homes lined up? Are you prepared to keep 8-10 pups if no homes can be found?

Ornyacycline is what i use for my rats, never used it for gerbils but i have a friend who has. I know it works perfectly for my rats and saves a vet visit too. Although i have 20 rats so treating 20 rats with that does get costly lol. But anyways, if you have any questions just ask. I will try to be here to answer. I learned alot when i bred gerbils. I bred gerbs for 6 years. So good luck and enjoy.

20 Rats
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 Gerbils
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome