Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Dena 
#1 ·
I am now calling her my crusty kitty. For a while after the vets her eyes started tearing and bubbles were coming out of her nose now the medication is finally kicking in and starting to dry some of it up. Instead of constant runny nose now it has time to dry after she sneezes, hence, crusty cat. They put her on Clavamix drops. They taste like bubble gum but that doesn't stop her from hating them. One good thing is that this hasn't diminished her appetite one bit!

Any ideas on a better way to give kitty the drops? It is a big ordeal not so much for me but for her. Thank goodness she still likes me!

I am also wondering if maybe I should call the vet back. I just noticed that her other eye just started tearing and was wondering if maybe I should have seen a better improvement. The good thing is that she is eating and eating a lot and keeping it down with no problems.

#2 ·
Aww, the poor thing!! Give her a scratch for me!

I've never had a cat, so I can't offer much in the way of suggestions -- sorry Dena. :( I'm sure someone will come along though.

I'd call the vet just because I'm an extremely overprotective mommy! :lol: I doubt he'll charge you to call. ;)

#3 ·
have you tried mixing the meds with a lickable treat? Linatone, maybe? Or maybe with some milk? It all depends on the meds. I've used Clavamox before, but can't recall if it has to be taken on an empty stomach or not. If it does, then mixing it with something isn't an option. It'll dilute the med too much. Check with your vet. I'll see if I can find any other ideas on easier ways of giving her the meds. How long has she been on the meds? The vet might want to put her on something a bit stronger than Clav---seems like it's not doing as good a job as it should in clearing it up

#4 ·
Aww! The poor baby. Baby Girl would sit down and just let me squirt the dropper right into her mouth, but just like me our kitten is a weirdo. maybe the cold takes a little time to get out of her system. I know baby Girl took probably 5-6 days to seem all the way better, and I was worried the whole time too! I hope Eve feels better soon!

#5 ·
found this

MEDICATING TIPS

Step#1: Restraining

Be gentle & firm.
Place your cat on a table or bench.
Have the other adult hold each of the cat's elbows so that they are locked straight while tucking the cat's body against theirs. Or wrap the cat in a large towel so only the head is visible.
Have the adult lean on the cat to keep him against the table.
Try to wear a sweater or shirt so if the cat tries to scratch with the back feet it can't do too much damage.

Step#2: Giving Pills

Try a pill syringe. These are available at most pet-supply stores. Be sure to ask your vet to demonstrate them, so that you do not hurt kitty. If you are unable to find one, here it goes:

Hold the head in the palm of your hand and gently tilt the cat's head back (cats reflexively relax their jaw and open their mouth slightly). Hold the pill in the opposite hand between your thumb and index finger With your middle or ring finger, gentle lever the jaw open and place the pill onto the back of the tongue.
Push the tablet over the back of the tongue with a finger.
Quickly close the mouth and rub the throat to stimulate swallowing. Blowing on your cat's nose tends to give it a bit of a fright and may induce it to swallow.

or Liquid Medicine

Restrain your cat as above.
Hold the cat's head this time holding both top and bottom jaw. Tilt the cat's nose slightly upwards.
Using an eye dropper/syringe slowly place the medication into your cat's mouth.
The tip of the dropper can be inserted st behind the canine (fang or eye) tooth where the jaw does not completely close.
Unless the dose is small give the medication slowly allowing your cat to swallow and to lick the medication from its mouth before giving more.
Rubbing the throat or blowing on your cat's nose may help to stimulate swallowing.
Never inject into the back of the mouth as this may cause your cat to choke

Step#3: Reward

Always give your cat positive attention following successful medication.
Praise him, play with him, and if approved by your veterinarian, offer a tasty food reward so the next time will go even more smoothly.

#7 ·
I've always given drops in the corner of the mouth (behind the canines), usually employing a full body hold with one arm and trying to hold the mouth open with that hand while giving the medicine. Most vets I 've worked for allowed for a bit to be slung around and wasted with the dosage.

It sounds as though the medication is working if it is drying everything up. You can take cotton balls (or a washcloth) wrung out with warm water to clean up her face.

Are you still giving her wet food? In the nutrition classes I have taken they have always advised dry food as a better choice, and that's all my cats have ever had. I've even seen cats with all of their teeth pulled out crunching away on the dry food after they were all healed!

Good luck with her. I know how we worry about our babies when they aren't feeling well.

Critter :paw:

#8 ·
Well she still has a lot of snot (excuse the term). It looks like it is thickening up a little but she isn't sneezing at all anymore. I wipe her down everyday with pampers wipes. She is still a crusty kitty. I am almost out of clavamox so I will call the vet on Monday to see if she is okay or if I should bring her in again.

I am still giving her some wet food but only a little at night. She has dry food during the day. I always swore I would never give a cat wet food but I use it as a treat because she is so cute!

#9 ·
That's the biggest problem with kittens - they're all so darn cute! But Bubba and I promised each other we would be cat-free after the last of ours goes, and we're down to one. I know that sounds horrible and like I don't really like my cat(s), but I really do. It's just that living so far from family and trying to make arrangements for everyone when we travel is really hard. And we ain't getting any younger!

Glad Eve is doing better, and I'm glad she's allowing you to clean her up. I always used something with warm water because the warmth seemed to break it up better and help with the breathing.

Be sure and let us know what the vet says on Monday.

Why do they always wait until Saturday afternoon to do these things???

Critter :paw:

G
#11 ·
Dena said:
Well she still has a lot of snot (excuse the term). It looks like it is thickening up a little but she isn't sneezing at all anymore. I wipe her down everyday with pampers wipes. She is still a crusty kitty. I am almost out of clavamox so I will call the vet on Monday to see if she is okay or if I should bring her in again.

I am still giving her some wet food but only a little at night. She has dry food during the day. I always swore I would never give a cat wet food but I use it as a treat because she is so cute!
Crusty Kitty has upper respitory. You should be able to talk to your vet about using the pill for of Clavamox depending of how old she is. If less than 4 weeks it's easier with the drops than the pill. Also if Clavamox doesn't clear it up in a few weeks you should talk to your vet about switching her to Baytril. Unfortunately, UR are a pain in the rear to clear up. I had a kitty that took 2 months. I had on him Clavamox for 3 weeks and then had to switch to Baytril for another 3. The next 2 weeks it was his eyes would get crusty so on to eye drops.
But it's good that she's still eating and drinking, so just hang in there and keep wiping thse boogers. Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.