Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Clear nasal discharge?

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  lilspaz68 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just wondering what to make about Russell's condition again. Lately, his sneezing has increased--as I've mentioned elsewhere--but he is still on his AB mix of baytril/doxy twice daily, sometimes aided by Sudafed if he is really sneezy. Today I noticed some clear discharge coming from his nose, and I'm wondering what this could be a sign of? Since he has been on ABs for a while, I don't know if it could be an infection or not... His breathing still sounds a bit congested, but you can only hear it when you put your ear on his chest (i.e. you can't hear him breathing from a distance, and no wheezing). His porphyrin levels are down from where they were, but now today he's got a bit of this clear discharge and he's still sneezing. Thoughts?? :confused:

#2 ·
Hi Breyer,
As soon as I saw your post I went through my books and also checked my online rat health care sites to look for "clear discharge" and amazingly, I could not find a single reference to clear discharge, just the red poryphin type, so I am stumped. :confused:
I wish I could have been more help? The only slight reference I saw said that discharge "of any kind" from the nasal or eye areas is a sign that something is wrong. That was all I saw. Darn, I hope Russell is okay..can you give a quick ring to your vet about this?
Keep me posted.

#3 ·
Thanks so much for checking, Vlad. It hasn't come back again today, so I'm still keeping an eye on him. I read on another forum that unless it is accompanied by other bad symptoms it shouldn't be too much to worry about...but we'll see. If he still has it again tomorrow I'll probably give the vet a call just to check up.

#4 ·
Oh no problem Breyer, I didn't really do much! And you know, after I read that part about "any discharge is not good" I did think about that and I know it should probably be taken with a grain of salt anyway, as I know that poryphin discharge can sometimes happen with rats and it does not neccessarily mean that something horrible is wrong, so the same could be said for clear discharge as well. Probably a side effect of Russell's sneezing problems. Hopefully it will be a temporary thing? If you end up talking to your vet about it, let me know what the vet says! :wave:

#5 ·
Breyer,
Just wanted to check in to see how my lil nephew Russell is doing? I was thinking about him today and wondering how it was going with his clear nasal discharge. Did you find anything out about that or did it clear up? Hope he is doing well. Send him my love. :)

#6 ·
Thanks for asking, Vlad. :) He hasn't had any more clear discharge, though he did have some porphyrin this evening...but that's nothing new. He is currently napping in his hammock after a nice dinner. He's still sneezing, but I am keeping an eye on him, as always.

#7 ·
Aww, well a nice dinner and a nap in the hammock sounds wonderful. :approve: I am glad he is comfy and happy. You are such a good mommy and rat nurse! As always, keep us posted. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.