Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Pet-friendly airline

Tags
pet travel
7K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  tobyt 
#1 ·
Not a product but a service, the owner come up the idea for comfortable pet travel compare to ordinary airline with many cases of injured and death of animals.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31083094/

#3 ·
I agree, it's way too expensive! I wish dearly that I could use it for our hedgehogs but none of my customers have been willing to use it. I don't like reg airlines so if you want a hedgie flown to you I only will in the spring & fall because of the heat and cold under the plane -and I wont send one anyplace where it is normally real cold or hot. We fly out of DFW in Texas so yup spring and late fall or forget it!

#4 ·
Really it's up to the owner to decide if they can pay the fee. If I were to move across country I'd find the cost of hiring movers and then flying worth the hassle. I'd for sure fly my pets as comfortably as I could. It is expensive but it's a fledgling airline they have to be able to afford the overhead.

#5 ·
I didn't think that was more expensive than flying an animal in cargo on a normal airline?

My parents had to fly their dog once and to fly her cargo it was like $275. I'm not sure if maybe it depends on the size of the animal though? Their dog is a cocker spaniel, so she's not huge.

I wish they could allow the owners to fly with the pets though. Even though this does sound better than them going in cargo, I would still be nervous having my pet flying with strangers and a bunch of strange animals.

I also think it will be a lot more useful once they fly to more locations. I don't know if they fly pets other than cats and dogs at this time either? I went on their site and could only find cat and dog info.

#6 ·
I've been on a lot of flights recently where a toy sized dog has traveled as a carry-on. As for the cargo I have no idea how much it costs I've never gone more than a couple hours drive with my pets before.

#7 ·
My inlaws used to travel with their dogs but it was always very expensive. It's a shame the airlines won't allow small pets to travel in small crates under the seat in front of you for free. I have a friend that takes her sugar gliders with her on the plane (in her bra!). I honestly don't know how she does it. I know if I tried they would turn me away! ha ha

#8 ·
My inlaws used to travel with their dogs but it was always very expensive. It's a shame the airlines won't allow small pets to travel in small crates under the seat in front of you for free.
Like I said in my above post. I've seen a lot of that as of late. Someone I was traveling with once (a co worker) was so annoyed that a woman on the plane had a Pom with her in a small carrying case. Honestly I think most dog are more well behaved than most small children on planes.

#13 ·
Spirit Airlines allows small pets (dogs cats birds) to travel in the cabin w/their owners on domestic flights. Fee is $100/carrier, and the pets must remain in their carrier for the flight duration. My Zeuss flew Spirit when he was only 10wks old, and he loved it!

Interestingly, if two pets can fit into a single carrier then only one fee is paid. Not too often that this comes into play, I imagine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.