Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

walking cats

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  wishbone 
#1 ·
Hey, does anyone have any advice on how I can get my cats to walk with a leash?
They've never had the desire to go outside until recently so I thought I would just let them out and keep a watchful eye on them. Normally, this was never an issue. When they were tired of being out they would just walk to the door and ask the be let in. But my male cat, Blue, thought it would be adorable to run out into the middle of the street and run away from me when I tried catching him. This is more than enough reason for me to get them on a leash..
I've tried the leash itself and then I tried putting a harness with the leash. They spend more trying to wiggle out of the harness and tugging at the leash than actually enjoying the outdoors.
So, help?

#2 ·
Hmm, it can be tricky to make it a positive experience if they already have fears. Get a tighter fitting harness, as long as you can slip 2 finger under it it's fine, make it snug so when he gets smart he still cannot wiggle out of it. If you will be letting him out alone I suggest getting him a harness with a safety release clip on it in case it snags on something. They have become life savers in many cases.

If you will be walking him on the leash, well, good luck. Most cats will not walk like a dog so have some patience to just stand around while he nibbles on grass, chases bugs or climbs fences and trees. Do it a little bit at a time, and for gradually longer periods. Perhaps give him one of his favorite treats every now and then so he will accustom outdoors to good things.

If you prefer, get a large dog kennel, fence thing for yards and cover the top. Then kitty(s) can just go in there, harness free!

#3 ·
Let them get used to the harness indoors before taking them out in it. Put the harness on them in the house and let them be. Don't rush it. And gradually move up to taking them outdoors on it.

#5 ·
My cats are all harness trained. I trained them very slowly to the harness, first leaving the harness lying around the house, then draping it over the cat, for a couple of weeks, before even trying to put it on.

Once they make the connection with harness and yard time, they do adjust. I take my cats out in a fenced in yard, they wear harnesses with long lengths of lightweight polyrope whcih they drag behind.

I never leave them alone, and I never EVER tether them to anything.

#8 ·
My kitty is 9 weeks old and being harness trained the problem seems to be getting on her one its past that she struggles a little then finds out she cant get it off then happily goes and plays. Dont try walking at first just try putting it on them and letting them explore inside supervised of course

#9 ·
I don't have actual experience actually but my cousin been trying to train her cat to walk, with advantage of he is being an outside cat so he really enjoys it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.