Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Animal Hoarding Information

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  cest-la-vie 
#1 ·
Hello pet lovers!

I'm a researcher for the series Confessions: Animal Hoarding, currently airing on Animal Planet that tells the stories of people overwhelmed by the number of pets they own. The problem is on the rise and affects communities across America.

Most animal hoarders don’t see themselves as hoarders, and sometimes don’t intentionally collect animals. Most of these situations aren’t dealt with until they become criminal. This results in animals being euthanized by over-stressed shelters, and doesn’t address the underlying psychological issues - meaning nearly 100% of people end up in the same situation again.

We are dedicated to finding comprehensive long-term solutions and believe therapy to be key to this. We can bring in experts to help.

If you or someone you know needs help because animals have overrun their life, visit www(dot) animalhoardingproject (dot)com to learn more and submit their story. Alternatively, phone our team toll-free at 1 -877-698-7387.

We will treat all submissions with confidentiality and respect.

Please share this info with your communities, we want to get the word out across the USA and Canada and help as many people as we can. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thank you! The show is incredibly "eye opening"

I personally and thankfully have no referrals for you, but I'm so happy you have come here! Any information you can impart on us on any of the forums we have posted would also benefit us!

#5 ·
I hate people who discriminate against mental illness! I find what you said really rude. A mentally ill person can not help that they are mentally ill, no more then someone can help that they are physically ill.

People who have attitudes like you only make things worse! Mental illness is not something someone decides to be. There are underlying issues for it. Saying you hate people with mental illness and think that "They should get what they deserve!" Is a horrible thing, because it perpetuates the idea that mental illness is something to be ashamed of, and something that is a choice. People with attitudes like yours cause people to be scared to ask for help.

You've really struck a raw nerve. I am not a animal hoarder, but I do have a mental illness (depression) and boy, does it really hurt when people say "It's all in your mind" or "Mental illness isn't real" or " just get over it. it's your fault" Ask anyone with any mental illness, and they'll tell you the same thing. If they had the choice, they'd have no mental illness.

People who are animal hoarders do not realize they are harming the animals. A hoarder loves their animals, and do not see that they are doing anything wrong.

They need help, not "what they deserve"

#8 ·
I just re-read my post and I realized it's a bit harsh. I'm sorry for being rude about it, but I think that you should research about animal hoarding. The best way to deal with hoarders is to take away most of their pets (leaving a reasonable amount, for example, take away 40 cats, and leave them with two desexed ones) educate them how to look after their pets and give them counselling and monitor them.

#9 ·
I think the problem with that is...who can really define a reasonable amount?

Example. I rescue but often end up with dogs. Luna's ex owner wanted her dog to go to a raw fed home. Loki was a present from the boyfriend after my last dog died. Spyro I have had since I was 10 and I have considered finalizing the adoption of Chewy, a friend's dog that they personally feel is getting too expensive. I have had 4 dogs before and had no problems. What if I inherit another dog? Does this make me a hoarder even though all of them are in good health, licensed, and happy? What about the neighborhood cat lady and her twenty something cats (also healthy.) What about ranch owners or breeding kennels/stables that often have well over 10 animals?

#10 · (Edited)
Reasonable amount is affected by two things.
1. legality
2. ability to care for the animals
3. mental state
4. ability to give away pets, if need be
if you are able to care for 40 cats and it's legal for you to do so, and you mentally aren't a hoarder, then there is nothing wrong.

I suppose how you get the animals plays a part in it too. If you went out and brought 40 cats? I'd question your mental state. If you work at a kill shelter and can't stand to see animals put down, so you take home every cat that is healthy but reaching the end of it's adoption period, I'd see it differently.

also, lets say for some reason you can't look after them all, if you are able to give them away, then you aren't a hoarder. if you can't give them away, even if you've found good homes for them, then you're a hoarder.

There probably are other factors too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.