Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

I'm thinking of doing a shrimp tank or two...

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Purple-Hops 
#1 ·
I have a 10 gallon tank and a 5.5 gallon tank. I've figured out, I basically can do three things.
Betta
OR
Shrimp (and maybe snails)
OR
Guppies

I prefer the look of tanks with a few animals in, so that rules bettas out. I've been told that I could keep a few guppies in the 10 gallon tank, but I'm not really fussed with guppies, plus, I'd like a bit more space, in case they breed.

So, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go with shrimp. I ask a local shop, and they'll say they'll have shrimp in about a month. I know I need a sponge filter ( to stop the shrimp babies getting sucked in) and I know I should have plants and I know I have to cycle the tank. I don't know anything else then that, nor do I know how to cycle a tank...

Are there anything else I'd be able to put in them?
How do I cycle the tank?
What plants should I use?
What else do I need or do?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi and welcome! :)

You can add a betta and some shrimp to the 10 gal. There will be enough room and as long as there is plants (tall and short) they should leave each other alone. The shrimp will clean the bottom too! Sasami is the aquatics expert here!! :) Maybe she will advise better for you. Me, on the other hand, would have no hard choice- I'd get bettas!! lol

You can divide the 10 gal (with a solid color divider) and put 2 bettas in it!

#4 ·
I thought I read somewhere that the shrimp may get eaten or that the shrimp may tear the betta's fins. I take that it's not true? ( Or it's rare to happen?)

I've never seen a solid colour divider, I've only ever seen clear ones. Do you know where I could buy one? '

Would adding bettas increase the maintenance needed to keep the tanks clean?

#3 ·
I had, for years, a great little 5 gallon with a sponge filter. a fistful of Elodia/Egreria densa, several dozen cherry shrimp, and a few Asolene sphixi. The sponge filter I cycled in another tank first for 2-3 weeks, then just transferred it to the 5 gallon, and tossed in the livestock.

#5 ·
Shrimp can indeed be eaten by bettas so I wouldn't recommend it unless you try it out with ghost shrimp before pricier cherry shrimp (I'm assuming you want cherry shrimp?). I've kept bettas with shrimp but I've also seen bettas eat shrimp.

I find divided tanks to be annoying so I'm no help with dividers. If it was me, I'd go for a single male. Some of them are absolutely stunning and look amazing as the main or only fish.

There's a sticky in this forum on cycling with a bit of live plant info. Check it out and let me know if you still have questions on those topics.

Yes, adding fish to a previously shrimp-only set-up will increase the amount of maintenance. But bettas are easy to care for and not messy at all so it wouldn't be a significant difference, especially with live plants.

So are you looking for more 10-gallon suggestions? If you don't like guppies I don't see why they're on your list ;). Look into harlequin rasboras, celestial danios, cherry barbs, white cloud minnows, and pristella tetras. All of those (and it's not a comprehensive list by any means, just some ideas) are easy even for beginners, hardy, social (can live in groups), won't mess with plants, and won't eat shrimp. They'll all thrive in a peaceful, small, planted aquarium.

#6 ·
I don't mind guppies and my brother is pestering me to set him up a tank with guppies, but I prefer the other things. I just did some more research, and I was thinking about Endlers live bearers. I know they're very similar to guppies, but I don't know, they just appeal to me better! lol.

But I'm getting mixed info about them. some places say they need 5 gallons, others are saying 10 & 20 gallons.

I just remeasured my tanks, and one is 5.2 gallons, while the other one is 7.4
gallons.

I think I might just sell them both and then get a 20 gallon.

#7 ·
Endler's livebearers don't need much space (they're tinier than the "fancy guppies" sold in most stores) but bigger is usually better with aquariums...especially if you're newer to keeping them. The 7.4 (what an odd size!) gallon would work for a small group but it sounds like you'd be happier with something larger (so you can keep more of a variety of animals).

I prefer the Endler's livebearers too. They're hardier and are also prettier IMO. I used to raise them, partially as pets and partially as feeders. I kept fancy guppies, too, but most stock are weak genetically now and prone to all sorts of problems.

#9 ·
You could get a few male guppies as they won't over populate in a tank, plus they are prettier

some female bettas are very pretty and i believe you can put a few in a tank together. but no male.

Some bettas get a long with fancy guppies mine did, but some will attack.

#11 ·
Hm I didn't know bettas ate shrimp. There are some people in a betta forum who keep a few shrimp. Well, the betta would be eating well!!!! Sorry for the bad info then! lol As for the solid dividers, there are many DIY tutorials on them. People slip some solid colored sheet in between 2 sheets of needle work grids so the fish cannot see each other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.