Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

HELP!!! Emergency!!!

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Dragonrain 
#1 ·
I just got a one month old rabbit yesterday. I initially fed her hay and a little carrot last night and gave her water. She pooped and peed after but she hasn't pooped since then! Today i fed her the same thing, carrots and hay. and added some rabbit pellets and also water. she peed 2 times today as far as i noticed but she hasn't pooped since last night. what should i do?! she doesn't look sick at all but it worries me because she hasn't pooped since last night. she still eats and drinks. and she's still quite active. please help! :(

#2 ·
Okay so first of all, hold back on the carrots. Carrots are high in sugar and really should be used more of a treat food than a staple part of the diet. Unlimited timothy hay, and other types of grass hays, should make up the majority of the diet. What type of pellets are you using? Make sure they are just a plain pellet and don't include things like colored bits and seeds.

She's still eating? If she's still eating and acting normal I'd cut her back to eating only fresh hay and water and keep an eye on her. If she stops eating or acts lethargic or off, or if she doesn't use the bathroom in a span of 12 hours or longer, I'd get her into a rabbit experienced vet.

One month old is very young for her to already be in a new home. Baby rabbits should really remain with their mothers for at least 8 weeks, and in some places it's actually illegal now to sell baby rabbits that are less than 8 weeks old. I'd watch her very carefully, you may very well run into some problems due to her being taken from her mother at too young of an age.

Do you have a rabbit experienced vet you can take her too? With her being so young, and now not going to the bathroom normally, I think it might be a good idea for you to get her in for a checkup. Even if it turns out that nothing is wrong, it's always a good idea to take a new pet into the vet to get checked out anyways.

I'm not sure from your post how experienced you are with rabbits but you should check out the House Rabbit Society website. It's just www.rabbit.org, and is a great place for new owners to research rabbit care.

Good luck! I hope your little one is okay. Keep us updated on her.

#3 ·
My rabbit is really sick now. :( I took her to the vet, she has diarrhea. They prescribed her vitamins and ultralite so she won't get dehydrated. She's gotten so thin and weak. It's heartbreaking. Especially since i have to force feed her since she won't eat or drink anything:( Had I known this would happen i wouldn't have bought a rabbit so young. But the store who sold us Zoe (my rabbit) failed to mention that. :( I just started giving her an antibiotic that the vet prescribed, i hope it works. I really don't want her to die, she's such a sweet rabbit. Do you know anything that could help stop diarrhea? and FAST?

#4 ·
That doesn't sound good. Are you sure the vet you took her too is experienced with rabbits? If she's really doing that bad, I'd consider taking her to another vet for a second opinion.

What are you force feeding her?

I'm not a vet, but it sounds to me like it might be complications from being taken from her mother too young, then on top of that the stress of going to a new home, and eating carrots which she may not have been prepared to digest at her young age. The House Rabbit society doesn't recommend that you start to feed young rabbits things like greens and carrots until they are 12 weeks old.

Baby bunnies I think normally nurse from there mothers until they are around 7 weeks old. They will also, as gross as this sounds, eat a bit of there mothers feces in order to help get a colony of good bacteria in there guts. These bacteria are important for digesting food properly. Since your baby probably wasn't able to get bacteria from her mother, maybe you could try a probiotic? Benebac is a brand pretty commonly used for rabbits.

I'm not really sure other than that. If she where mine, I'd make sure the vet your seeing has experience with rabbits and then bring her back in. If your not sure if your vet is experienced or not, here's a list of rabbit savvy vets you can look at...
http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.