Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I HATE my sugar glider!!!

Tags
hate sell
29K views 55 replies 27 participants last post by  Sasami 
#1 ·
I've had my sugar gliders since August and she has still not warmed up to me. I've done everything I could...Any suggestions?!?!?!
I'm considering selling her

#3 ·
HATE is an awful strong word.
These things take time and some animals never warm up to people.With that attitude,maybe you should seel/rehome her to someone who is patient and understanding.

#4 ·
I agree with the two above me. You're obviously not giving them enough time, and are rushing them. Chill out.

#5 ·
Feel free to give her to me ;).

But seriously, sugar gliders can take a long time to bond to people. Maybe try reading this: http://www.sugarglider63.com/bonding.htm

It's important to remember that a sugar glider isn't domestic like a dog, cat, or rabbit. They're wild animals and aren't born wanting to be around people.

#6 ·
Geez, saying you hate them is pretty harsh. I have plenty of pets that will never bond with me or want to be around me(hermies, ACF, millipede, fish) but its because they are wild animals, and by the sounds of it, suger gliders are they same way.
I hope that you can just accept your sugar glader the way she is and be more patient with her. She is your responsibility, and its pretty sad that you would just throw her out like that.

#7 ·
It really sounds like you did not research these animals carefully, but got them because you thought they were cute toys.

#12 ·
Funny how this person asked for our suggestions, but never came back!! Think they just wanted to get everyone in an uproar?

#14 ·
Thanks for nothing....

Stephanie was the only helpful one. Everyone else just bashes. First off, I write my letter the way I did to show the frustration I have in order get some feedback that would be helpful. Don't say I don't have any respect for animals. If that was the case then I wouldn't feed her. I respect her just as much, or even more, than she respects me. If you say I didn't do enough research than you are completely and totally wrong. You can come to my apartment and look at the stacks of papers I have AND on top of that I had some of my own time with another sugar glider before I got mine. Now, I hate(yes HATE) people who assume and have no idea what they are talking about. I joined this website to get some advice and positive feedback and none of you are doing this for me and it was obviouslly a bad idea to join this site. Not only are you ruining things for yourself by not helping others but you're hurting my sugar glider and my relationship with her because you don't ave ANY(NONE) good advice to give at all! Rather than confront the problem I have and help me out with it, you just go ahead and run to the easier route by saying "rehome" her blah blah blah.....

#16 ·
This is not something you can determine from reading your posts.

Don't post a deliberately inflammatory post about how you hate your pets and want to sell them and then cry when people are horrified. What's wrong with you? I mean really.

#17 · (Edited)
What everyone is trying to say is that HATE is a strong word, everyone on this site LOVES animals, as we see it if you hate your pet you dont have the right to own it.
You are now saying you just wanted advice but I read your blog, you say your SG is super mean and you just want to give her up, if you arent willing to work with your pet for as long as it takes then I agree, give her to someone who will. I am trying not to be rude, so right now my advice would be start a new thread to ask for advice and not to say you hate and want to sell your glider.

#18 ·
Umm, wow hun.
Im sorry you where so offended, but by the sound of your post, it sounded like you just hated your pet and wanted to get rid of her. Alot of people do go out and buy pets just because they are "cute", and it seemed like that was the case with you. If you decide to post in the future, you should probably include more info in your post, because if we dont, we will just assume things.
If I had posted something saying "I HATE my rabbit. He wont cuddle with me. I want to sell him." how would that sound to you? Not very good, right?
(BTW, I love my bun-bun to death... that was just an example!)

#19 ·
Mandy:
Your glider will NEVER respect you! NEVER EVER.
She will learn that you are the thing that feeds her, and talks to her (they are very social animals by the way, you should get 2), but she does not know what respect is.
She will just accept her. But if you want something that respects you, you really need to look for something else than a pet! Get a boyfriend or something like that instead...

And no, we (or me atleast) are not here for you, when you ask questions about your pets, but we are here for the animal... If you want to talk about you, or get support, thats fine, and then people will be there for you, but this is about the life of an animal, not about how you feel...

I totally agree - you should rehome her. You have have no clue about what it takes to keep a pet!

#22 ·
Later haterz

The way I see it is if everyone on this site LOOOOOVEEEESSSS animals then they would be willing to help people who are having trouble with theirs but y'all aren't. Anyways, it seem the majority of the people on this website are under the age of 20 so they wouldn't be giving any good advice anyways. And she is alone and the reason I think she's mean is that she was bullied by other sugar gliders before I got her. She was the only on in the cage with a full tail because all the other sugar gliders ate their tails off. I don't like the idea of getting another one because when I got hamsters, I was told they work good in pairs UNTIL ONE KILLED THE OTHER!!! I'm not risking that with my sugar glider. Also, you say nobody means harm but when they're saying "Oh, she's sounds like a troll..." What does that even mean? please, please, please explain to me the sound that trolls make. Trolls having NOTHING to do with my sugar glider so unless you're gonna help me don't write on my post...understood? Anyways, like 've said before...I'm leaving this website. Thanks to the people who helped me.

#23 ·
The way I see it is if everyone on this site LOOOOOVEEEESSSS animals then they would be willing to help people who are having trouble with theirs but y'all aren't. Anyways, it seem the majority of the people on this website are under the age of 20 so they wouldn't be giving any good advice anyways. And she is alone and the reason I think she's mean is that she was bullied by other sugar gliders before I got her. She was the only on in the cage with a full tail because all the other sugar gliders ate their tails off. I don't like the idea of getting another one because when I got hamsters, I was told they work good in pairs UNTIL ONE KILLED THE OTHER!!! I'm not risking that with my sugar glider. Also, you say nobody means harm but when they're saying "Oh, she's sounds like a troll..." What does that even mean? please, please, please explain to me the sound that trolls make. Trolls having NOTHING to do with my sugar glider so unless you're gonna help me don't write on my post...understood? Anyways, like 've said before...I'm leaving this website. Thanks to the people who helped me.
People do tell you things that you need to do, but you don't seam to want to listen.
Sugar gliders are very social. They live in packs in the wild. And the pet gliders are still very wild.
You can't compare hamsters to gliders. Some dawrf hamster species like to live 2 and 2, but most hamsters like to live alone. I don't have a hamster, never had one, and still I have the most basic knowledge. Do you eaven reserch the animals you want, before you get them?
As I said, you will never get your gliders respect, but she will learn to accept you. And you really need to get another glider.
A Troll is a person who posts just to get people mad, and causes a whole lot of problems on a forum.
The way you post, by attacking first, you sound like a troll. It dosen't sound like you want any help at all. It sounds like you know what answer you want, and you just get all mad when you don't get that answer.
Like I said before. People basically don't care about your feelings, when you write like you do, and it has to do with an animals wellbeing.
And to say people under 20 can't give good advice, that's just plain wrong!

My last advide, get a book on how to care for sugar gliders, and read it from one end to the other!
Personally I thing "Sugar Gliders - A vomplete pet owners manual" from Barron's is a super cool newbie book

#25 ·
The majority of people on this site are over 20, anyway 'later haterz' makes you sound very immature. Dont say you wont be revisiting this site because even if you dont sign in im pretty sure you will drop by to read what people have said.
And how does the other gliders bullying her make her mean? As for your hamsters, what breed did you get? Syrians fight to the death but dwarfs, if bonded properly, will get along perfectly apart from any fighting for dominance in which no blood is shed. Anyway, hamsters to sugar gliders isnt a fair comparison. I seriously recommend the care sheets lisa posted because your glider needs the best possible care you can provide

#26 ·
You come here posting i hate my glider i want to get rid of it. then you don't come back for a while, it makes it look like you are a troll because clearly in a pet forum saying i hate my pet isn't really something to say as your first post. I think you understand that.

Coming and saying something like: I got a sugar glider several months ago, it hasn't bonded to me at all yet, and i am extremely frustrated, i have tried several things including........ what am i not getting or doing wrong?

is much better, it sounds like you care for your animal, know that you are missing something, and it is ok to be frustrated with your pet I don't know anyone that hasn't been frustrated with any pet at one time or another.

And you keep attacking everyone that posts, makes me think that perhaps you are a troll, just making a stir in the forum. People here take pet care very serious and many have been here years, others will be here years to come. People on this site have spent countless hours researching as well as having personal experience.

#27 ·
Well, if you had researched your hamsters before you got them, you would know that some species will kill each other when put together.
Even if I am quite a bit under 20, Im acting a heck of a lot more mature than you are, and I do know alot about animals.
If you keep reacting to people like this, I think you will be treated to same on every forum that you go on... No one wants to give advice to people that are extremely rude.

#28 ·
saying that they hurt your sugar glider by saying what they said, well do you not think saying "you HATE your sugar glider" would that not hurt it also?

some of my rats do not want to be around people all the time but i never say i HATE my rat because she does not want to be with me. i respect her that she does not want time with me.

#29 ·
What does age have to do with anything??? I'm 30 years old and there are 14 yr olds on here that are MUCH more experienced with certain pets and have helped me a great deal!! I dont' think anyone has been rude at all. Honestly, as Kendall said, by acting the way you are acting you are fitting the "troll" description perfectly!! Sorry!!

#30 ·
I'm not sure if you are still looking at this, but I thought I'd just post some sugar glider info for you that may help. I just joined this board so I dont know much about it, but I do know of a board that is for sugar gliders only that may be helpful also. it is sugarglider.net (called glider central).

As for bonding with your glider.. my first glider was a female that was very difficult to bond with. I had her for about 2 months when I decided to get her a cagemate. This immediately made her slightly friendlier. I had her for 3 years and she never was as firiendly as my other gliders. Some gliders just arent as friendly as others. However with proper care and bonding, I believe you and your glider can get along better if you are willing to work for it. First all, but what you said about other gliders biting tails off, it sounds like you didnt get yours from a good breeder. If she was kept in poor conditions and didnt recieve attention as a joey, that would explain why she is so fearful of you. Next I want to tell you a little about diets. You havent said what diet you feed, but diet plays a HUGE role in glider behavior and health. Their are several proven diets to choose from. I personally feed Pricialla Prices diet. You can also look up BML, and Suncoast. Never feed a pellet diet alone, especially never feed a pellet diet from a pet store. They also need fruits, veggies, and a protien source(proven diets provide all this). If you change her diet, make sure you do this over a period of time slowly. Next thing that could affect her behavior is excersize. How big is her cage, do you have a glider safe wheel, lots of toys, and how much out of cage time does she get? Lastly the bonding process can be very long. I suggest getting a bonding pouch and carrying her around in this while she sleeps during the day. Open up the pouch occasionally to drop in some treats(mealies, yogurt, fruits) this way she learns you = yummy treats :). Also hang a shirt with your scent in her cage. This is a good way for her to get used to her scent. And just remember that your glider is very very tiny, so just imagine how scary it is for her around people. We are giants compared to her, she is just scared and you need to teach her that you arent going to hurt her. She doesnt disrespect you, she is just terrified. If you have any questions feel free to send me a msg.

#31 ·
Mandypants I agree hate is a bad way to put out about a pet.Suggies can be very good pets for the right person.If you have one they need lots of time with you.
This site is very good for telling you how to bond with your suggie.
http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/660588/Into_the_Bonding_Pit#Post660588

Jade I hope you don't mind me posting this link.
Suggies are not always a perfect pet.Sometimes bonding can take awhile.Before I found that site I got my first 2.Yeah they were biters I didn't think they would ever let me hold them.I wore a t shirt for a couple days and then put it in their cage bottom so they could get my scent.After a few days although they still insisted on nipping me they still went into a bonding pouch and I carried them around the house with me.It took awhile but we finally bonded.I now have several gliders and even have a few bra babies.
Suggies can be great if you work with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.